CC weirdness

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
I just got my Morningstar CC and was REALLY surprised that the screw connections were so close that any spade lug capable of handling 10 gauge (or lower) was extremely undersize for the width of the connection points.

Am I missing something or are CC makers just ignorant of wire size, connector space requirements?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which controller?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i would fuse or circuit breaker then smaller wire to controler. 

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are many different crimp lugs for #10 - 12 AWG cable.

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1434/Spade-Terminals/&Gauge=12-10

The above search term may expire in a fairly short time ...
    Perhaps you have chosen a lug that was designed for a larger stud,   or screw.

YES,   please do tell us which CC you are using.   It is a bit surprising that the CC needs a spade lug (or a Ring lug),   at all.

You might also look at the CC manual,   carefully.   It could specify just what they had in mind for those connections.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Morningstar generally is pretty good with regards to terminals and such, perhaps there is a maximum wire size allowable , small CC??
    Details are always helpful. ...
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • garynappi
    Options
    It's the Morningstar Sunlight 20. I like using the closed end spade lugs rather than the "U" forked type because a closed end cannot slip out if a screw comes loose, I found some "U" type that can handle 10 gauge but not closed types. 
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Options
      A Flanged Spade Connector will get you most of what you want. Take a look at the side profile pic

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/32722/Molex-19125-0078-Flanged-Spade-Connector-/

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #8
    Options
    Out of curiosity, by a closed "spade type " are you referring to a ring terminal, a fork flanged, or straight fork?, generally a spade terminal, is a flat interference type connector which has no screw, if insulated they would have colors  (colours) red, blue or yellow as a reference to the appropriate gauge range of  conductor the terminal can accommodate.
    Red- 22 to 16 gauge
    Blue- 16-14 gauge
    Yellow- 12-10 gauge

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #9
    Options

Thanks Gary for the info on your CC.

There is no photo in the Manual for that CC,   but from the outline drawing,   it looks like there is a terminal block that accepts stripped bare copper wire,   which is fairly standard for CCs.

In the manual there is the following'
     "

• The connector terminals will accept a maximum wire size of

AWG #10 (up to 5.2 mm2). A flathead screwdriver is required.

(Some #10 spade connectors may not fit in this terminal.) "
    You might investigate further to see if stripped cable will fit into the terminals.If you could post a pic of the terminal connections of this CC,  it would help.Thanks,   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Vic, it's just an older version of this Morningstar CC:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/ss-20l.html
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • garynappi
    Options
    Myocardia, that's it. Vic, I didn't want to use bare wires, I'm much more comfortable with crimped, soldered terminals that I can put heat shrink on the crimp sleeve. I found some of the "U" style that may be a better fit but I'll wind up forming the end of the lugs around the screw to make a more positive connection. Failing that, I'll tin the wire ends and loop it into a "J" which will make it less likely to come out.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're really intent on using a termination, maybe use a ferrule?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter