12v to 24v conversion advice needed

malibuskier
malibuskier Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I currently have a MS2812 Single Magnum Power Center in a 12v configuration.  I am interested in upgrading the inverter to a MS4024 and upgrading my system to 24v.  Do I need to make any changes to the Power Center itself?  From everything I can find document wise (to my understanding) it should be a simple swap of the inverters.  Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What about your solar array and solar charge controller(s)? You may need to do some rewiring/reconfiguration there.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new inverter may have a smaller max breaker size?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use power center as all the 'stuff' in front of the house panel, so yes. You will need to change to a 24 volt battery bank, setup your charge controller for charging the 24 volt battery bank, and perhaps reconfigure your array to charge the 24 volt battery bank...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.