AC Refrigerator choice.

2»

Comments

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Baskets and bins will make life a lot easier for you. :)
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #33
    Ok gang, I settled on the LG-LTCS 20220W - 20 CF,  mama was tired of the stainless. It was at the top of consumer reports, in # 3 or #4  but rated best for low noise . I spent 10 days here and searching the net, found this frig here at https://library.cee1.org/content/qualifying-product-lists-residential-refrigerators  and then went back to CR and realized it was the same  frig.  I set up the PDF on screen with blue tape separate the many columns of data, and searched the  CEE tier 2 and Tier 1 sections.  The KW consumption is listed as being a good bit lower here, than on the sites selling it.  That is confusing and I hope this site is correct. It will be here in one week, let you know how it works for us. It is listed near the top of page 14 above a model in red text.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Nice find, 1/4 as much as the one we ended up buying is a great deal (My wife liked french doors and a bottom drawer freezer). I am sure it will last your for several years to come. You got a winner there. :)
  • 97TJ
    97TJ Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I'm not one to keep a bunch of things in the fridge that won't be used up soon other than condiments.  And just like a house or garage, the bigger it is the more folks seem to fill it.  I'll admit it takes some getting used to but for us it works well and the price was right.
  • solorone
    Well we liked the bottom  freezer, but were  worried about the Kw usage, this is all new territory for  us, as we have had gas frigs for 34 years .
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    > @Blayd said:
    > Glass shelves in mine.  Less than $500.00usd out the door.  I have LPG for heat and cooking, which I purchase on discount in the summer off season.  I do use spare panel capacity to heat (electric resistance) in the winter to reduce propane use.
    >
    > Passive water heating with propane boost.  
    >
    > Next tinker DIY project:  Heat pump from old fridges I have on hand, rather than scrap them for junk.  
    >
    > Ultimate goal:  100 percent renewable energy by my retirement.

When I was younger, I made a pulsed xenon laser from an old refrigerator compressor that was very neat. Coupled with a spinning mirror, I could do my own laser shows for the neighborhood kids.
    I was less practical and more daring in those days.
  • solorone
    solorone said:
    Ok gang, I settled on the LG-LTCS 20220W - 20 CF,  mama was tired of the stainless. It was at the top of consumer reports, in # 3 or #4  but rated best for low noise . I spent 10 days here and searching the net, found this frig here at https://library.cee1.org/content/qualifying-product-lists-residential-refrigerators  and then went back to CR and realized it was the same  frig.  I set up the PDF on screen with blue tape separate the many columns of data, and searched the  CEE tier 2 and Tier 1 sections.  The KW consumption is listed as being a good bit lower here, than on the sites selling it.  That is confusing and I hope this site is correct. It will be here in one week, let you know how it works for us. It is listed near the top of page 14 above a model in red text.
    Very happy with my LG LTCS 2022 w.  I can report that it averages 36 watts per hour, this from a 20 day test,, we removed the icemaker. The most it has used was when we had it on a number 4 notch to harden some very sugary ice cream, it used 1.15 KWH per day.  The freezer is fairly large and will make  10 pounds of ice per day if needed and maybe more..  The LED lights are well placed and the frig is well lit.  The door will hit your feet, it, and is very close to the floor.  They make good use of space.  It is almost silent in operation, Belkin watt meter inline and it made  5 steps in the power levels, 150/,225/300/450/ 700 watts then dropped to 77 watts where it stayed till chilled. amazing !
  • kamchuka
    kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Hey Solorone,

I'm just wrapping my head around this fridge business. we have only been off grid for a year so other things were a priority. Now my wife is complaining about the little rv fridge....as well she should its a pain in the arse and tiny. so now i think I am in a position, power wise to look at ac fridges. An 18cf propane fridge is just toooooo much! If my math is right your 22cf fridge consumes 15 amps a day? I am new so I operate on what I can see, and thats amps. I dont have fancy equipment that talks to me lol.
    900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    We went with an 11.5 cubic foot fridge so as to not overpower our kitchen. I figure it runs about 1 kw-hr/day. Sold our propane fridge due to the difficulty in humping tanks in and out of the boat to our island camp.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Look for the US and Canada EPA ratings, then see which models you can get locally and check the price and service available plus warranty....  specs are tighter than ever for energy consumption.... lots of units running on less than 1 KWh per day, no need to go for a "solar" DC unit at 3 X the cost.  see my previous posts...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada