Question regarding negative grounding

Options
sun_day
sun_day Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hey all, I have question regarding negative grounding, more specially regarding IEC60364 712.312.2 on "DC conductors is connected to earth, verify that there is at least simple separation between AC and DC sides".

From my understand, correct me if I am wrong,
- All equipment must be grounded. This is called equipment grounding.
- Transformerless inverter do not require negative grounding since the grounding at array is considered floating.
- Transformer inverter nowadays comes with grounding kit for negative or positive.

If we put this in a central inverter (ground mounted installation) perspective, since the transformer is an external part of the inverter, is negative grounding still required? If so, how do you connect this negative grounding since I don't believe central inverter comes with any grounding kit.

What exactly does the IEC 60364 712.312.2 is talking about?

Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Is this a grid tied inverter?

If so, the GT inverter mfg has taken care of the array grounding / floating as required for proper operation.

Some GT inverters (usually older models) may have a positive/negative configuration jumper (a few panels required positive grounding for proper operation).

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sun_day
    sun_day Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    Yes it is a grid tied inverter. Does this means the central inverter will come with the grounding kit?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    In general. You lay in conduit, green wire ground, a.c. and D.C. power. Configure any jumpers inside (if any). And that is it.

If you are in a lighting prone area, you may want surge suppresses (array and or gt inverter end).

Also, you have to green or bare copper wire the safety ground the array and rails. And if lighting prone area, you may want to do more grounding and drive a ground rod at the base of the array.

For the installation, details matter.

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset