Poor mans hybrid system

Options
vam1230
vam1230 Registered Users Posts: 2
I have 1000w of panels feeding a 1000a rated grid tie inverter which is feeding directly into the grid.  I also have a 60a mppt charge controller connected to a 24v bank of batteries.  My question is, If i went from panels to charge controller to battery to gti is it ok to have a relay tied to the 120v output of the gti to control it with the load out capabilities of the charge controller.  If its okay i could open both line and neutral with contacts of a 24v dc double pole relay to create a "power failure" to turn off gti during the night to prevent dead batteries.  Sounds good or will it harm my gti with a daily AC disconnect?  

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #2
    Options
    Some GTI's automatically disconnect the AC Power Lines from the Inverter's Output circuitry every night, to help reduce the milliamps consumed in (low power) sleep mode. 

How many milliamps will your GTI consume from your battery when the AC Line is disconnected?
    How will you turn the relay ON when the sun rises and then OFF when the sun sets?
    Select a relay with a coil that consumes very low amps or use a latch-on / latch-off relay, if possible.
  • vam1230
    vam1230 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    mvas said:
    Some GTI's automatically disconnect the AC Power Lines from the Inverter's Output circuitry every night, to help reduce the milliamps consumed in (low power) sleep mode. 

How many milliamps will your GTI consume from your battery when the AC Line is disconnected?
    How will you turn the relay ON when the sun rises and then OFF when the sun sets?
    Select a relay with a coil that consumes very low amps or use a latch-on / latch-off relay, if possible.
    The Idle draw of the Gti appears to be 8ma.  I can set the run time to start at sunrise and stop just after sunrise and also set a low volt cut-out.  A latching relay sounds like a great idea.