Pool heater 12v or 24v?

chazd
chazd Registered Users Posts: 2
I will be installing a small pool in my back yard and I would like to setup a heater and pump.
Simply: solar panels charge batteries, pool water goes into dc pump powered by batteries, water flows through large heat exchanger panel, then flows back to pool.
I am planning on using a few small panels in series parallel (just over 8v each static) to charge 12v sla batteries (I have a nearly unlimited supply of batteries) using a PWM charge controller. I plan on using a simple temperature controller to only switch the pump on when the water in the heat exchanger panel is above a certain temp and switch back off when the water is too cool. I am not planning on using any inverters. Just charge batteries and use battery power to pump water.
I understand that the 12v system is less efficient but it is simpler and there are more 12v pump choices. The whole electrical system will be in a small space with no wires over 10'.
Should I stick with the 12v and pwm or go 24v with mppt?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why 24v would be any real advantage in your application. MPPT might be an issue if the pv is a long way from controller, but the pump shouldn't take much to run so why 24v?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • chazd
    chazd Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks Estragon! I guess I'll grab a pwm charge controller and be off to the races!