Lithium 48V Battery

Options
13»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The info I have from Vegas last year and business contacts is (subject to change) release mid 2017 the same as the Schneider Bridge I am testing. I am guessing when anyone sets a date for new gear it is optimistic. The Sky box appeared recently on the Outback webpage.

The Skybox is dual HV MPPT,  HV inverter and the one I am speaking of is based on a 400 vdc battery. It will be very easy to install, very expensive for some time, and all in one. This means all of the comms and BOS is in the Skybox. I was told there might be a way to use a 48V battery but that sounds crazy to me the whole purpose of using HV is to lower the cost. It is also one of the drawbacks if you need high surge current. The other drawback is owners of older outback gear will have to "re-purpose" it. :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Reed
    Reed Solar Expert Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Options
    Going back to OP request on utilizing LFP for good or for bad; we have two RVs with solar LFP.

Older system is a 34' 5th wheel with 1400 W of solar and 9.5 kW-of LRP. We have been using this system for three years and have been delighted with it. We primarily boondock and have not tied into linepower for 2 1/2 years when we were in shade and it was103 F.

Newer system is a 2002 19' Roadtrek with 415 W of solar and 4.7 kW-hr of LFP. We have had system for 10 months.. We spent 14 weeks in Labrador/Newfoundland and never used line power till back in US due to four days of rain in Massachusetts. We then spent 14 weeks in Mexico and used line power in three places due to shade/rain (Yucatan, San Cristobal, and Patzcuaro). Line power can be very 'dirty" and running off solar/LFP was quite sufficient. There is not space in a Roadtrek for 4.7kW-hr of LA and the weight would be excessive.
    Reed and Elaine