Solar USB charger

Options
jonr
jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
I need a small (5W or 10W) solar panel to charge a cell phone.  I first looked at complete systems, but people reported that they didn't work well (not enough power to fully charge).     Then I looked at a more DIY solution using a small PV panel plus a buck voltage regulator - but that would suffer from voltage collapse under low output conditions.     I finally ordered this regulator; it has an input voltage adjustment (ie, manually adjusted MPPT). 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BQ24650-MPPT-Solar-Panel-Lithium-Lead-acid-Battery-Charging-Board-Controller-5A-

Will be interesting to see how well it works.   The same regulator might also be useful for powering some small DC pumps (< 5A).  Or charging small lithium batteries.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure why you would want or need one of those charge controllers. Your cell phone has a perfectly good charge controller built in... I have some 5 watt 6 volt solar panels and added a 5 volt voltage regulator that handles up to 1 amp, and a sub outlet from a computer. It becomes a source of power that charges even picky usb charging devices such as my old Nokia N800 (pocket computer/thingy)

I've also heard and seen, I guess at Pinterest, of people doing the same thing with a small maintenances car battery panel (VW use to ship them with a suction cup to the car windshield. and a car lighter usb adapter. It sounds simple and effective. Of course ready made solar usb power sources aren't too expensive by them selves, usually less than 5 watts though.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • jonr
    Options
    Despite the label, it's a voltage regulator, not really a charge controller.   A normal buck regulator (probably what you have) doesn't do any form of MPPT.  So when the phone tries to draw more than the panel can put out, the voltage will collapse, probably to well below optimal (MPP).    That may still work, but slowly.     Would be interesting to check your panel voltage under various light conditions.  Around 8V should be optimal.  If it gets dragged down to 4V, then it becomes a ~2.5W panel.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Voltage regulator, picture is a link;

STMicroelectronics L7805CV
    USB's come in all sorts of amperage, originally they were usually no more than .5 amps, so the charge controllers work fine with the old usb specs. The Nokia was very temperamental and didn't work on some cheap usb wall warts I had purchased from China, but worked fine on my quickly cobbled together charger.

Buy and spend what ever you want, I know this works.

I gave the original away with the Nokia, but I have made another for someone else and have the pieces, though I'd have to strip a usb out of a computer or find a usb extension (I think I saw one around recently) I'll even will send you the pieces for the cost of postage!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • jonr
    edited March 2017 #5
    Options
    A linear regulator makes a 5W @ 8V panel into a 3.4W @ 5.5V panel - at best (without collapse).     Far worse with the 5W @ 17V panel I have laying around.   But I agree that there are lots of ways that will eventually charge a cell phone.

I see some indications that newer cell phones with Quick Charge 2 or 3 might tolerate and make use of up to 12V.

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Use a smaller solar panel and put a smaller charge controller on it. Charge one of those cheap $ 15  12volt 7ahr batteries and hook up a car plug. Get one of those car USB that plug up to the car plugs/cigarette lighter plug and you are in business.

Now you have USB power all day and night.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Johann said:
    Use a smaller solar panel and put a smaller charge controller on it. Charge one of those cheap $ 15  12volt 7ahr batteries and hook up a car plug. Get one of those car USB that plug up to the car plugs/cigarette lighter plug and you are in business.

Now you have USB power all day and night.
    Thats what I did, cage 2 phones and a tablet via 3 way adaptor, battery lasts about 4 years.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.