Victron Bluesolar and Equalisation

Options
bigbrovar
bigbrovar Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
Hi guys. I changed my charge controller from the chinese epsolar to victron energy bluesolar mppt charge controller 150/45

So far so good, been impressed by the controller especially the tracking speed in cloudy weather. However today is the first time the controller will be performing equalization of my batteries (220ah @ 24v, FLA with tubular plate) with my old controller (and inline with all documentation I read about equalization) equalization process takes minimum of 2 hours.. infact the user can set the number of hours the cc can perform equalization of the batteries but the default is 2 hours.

With victron blue solar, it is impossible to set equalisation time, you can only set the equalisation voltage. Here is the part of the bluesolar manual that talks about equalisation.

Automatic equalization
Automatic equalization is default set to ‘OFF’. By using the
configuration tool mpptprefs this setting can be configured with a
number between 1 (every day) and 250 (once every 250 days).
When automatic equalization is active, the absorption charge
will be followed by a voltage limited constant current period (see
table in section 3.5). The current is limited to 8% of the bulk
current for all VRLA (Gel or AGM) batteries and some flooded
batteries, and to 25% of the bulk current for all tubular plate
batteries and the user defined battery type. The bulk current is
the rated charger current unless a lower maximum current
setting has been chosen.
In case of all VRLA batteries and some flooded batteries
(algorithm number 0, 1, 2 or 3) automatic equalization ends
when the voltage limit maxV has been reached, or after
t = (absorption time)/8, whichever comes first.
For all tubular plate batteries and the user defined battery type
automatic equalization ends after t = (absorption time)/2.
When automatic equalisation is not completely finished within
one day, it will not resume the next day, the next equalisation
session will take place as determined by the day interval. 

My controller is set to algorithm number 2 which is the default. My question is, is 30 min of equalization enough? My battery are rarely discharged below 65% SOC in fact my average day to day cycle is at 70-85% SOC. My fear is just that the victron cc would leave my battery under equalized :( because most of what I read says equalization charge should be held for 2 hours to be effective.

Comments

• bigbrovar
    edited February 2017 #2
    Options
    Took SG readings with my hydrometer some minutes after the above stated equalization attached is the SG level I got from my hydrometer for pretty much all the battery cells.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbrovar said:

Took SG readings with my hydrometer some minutes after the above stated equalisation attached is the SG level I got from my hydrometer for pretty much all the battery cells.
    No attachment 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • bigbrovar
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    bigbrovar said:

Took SG readings with my hydrometer some minutes after the above stated equalisation attached is the SG level I got from my hydrometer for pretty much all the battery cells.
    No attachment 

I noticed image I uploaded did not reflect. I had to re-upload to imgur
  • bigbrovar
    Options
    below is my charge cycle data for the last 30 days.. pulled from the controller history logs 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Manufacturers recommendations aside, that appears to be good, what temperature were the batteries when you took the readings? Who is the manufacturer of the battery?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • bigbrovar
    Options
    extended logs showing max battery voltage, Time spent in bulk, Absorption and float (all in minutes)
  • bigbrovar
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Manufacturers recommendations aside, that appears to be good, what temperature were the batteries when you took the readings? Who is the manufacturer of the battery?
    unfortunately unlike my former cheap chinese epsolar controller, the new victron bluesolar does not have external battery temperature sensor (neither do I have a battery temperature sensor) The victron energy has an ambiance sensor but the readings are not displayed. However from hand touch the battery seem to be around 29-30c.. its not warm or hot to touch. The battery is made in india.. by a company called luminous. It is of the model called "tubular battery" which is very popular in india https://www.luminouseshop.com/products/luminous-iltt-26048-220ah-tabular-battery its going to 9 months now since having the battery.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It sounds like the default setting #2 may be for a VRLA battery of some type, with a 4hr timed absorb cycle.

The battery page doesn't appear to have some specs needed. It would help if you could find out from the manufacturer:
    - recommended absorb voltage range
    - recommended equalize voltage range
    - recommended specific gravity at full charge.

Setting the controller to the tubular plate type profile looks like it would extend the EQ time to 2hrs, but it would be a good idea to check the above recommended values vs the profile values. With warm batteries and no remote temp sensor there is a risk of using too high voltage.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter