All of the details of installation?

Options
mstgkillr
mstgkillr Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ✭✭
I'm considering a DIY 11.7 kW grid-connected PV install utilizing LG panels and microinverters unless someone suggests something else. Where do I find the code or specifics of the installation like how far the panels need to be from the edge or peak of the roof, disconnect requirements, etc...

Pictures of your installation would be great! 

Comments

• dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #2
    Options
    I think a lot of those answers will depend on the state and local building codes, are you in NJ or AZ?
    Here in NJ, I had no restrictions on 'setback' from edge or peak.  Disconnects are NEC code dependent. Again, which version is your local building code using .
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • mstgkillr
    mstgkillr Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    Florida

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #4
    Options
    Florida may still be using the older 2011 NEC.
    You need to find someone who knows the 2011 NEC as it pertains to Roof Mounted Solar PV and Grid Tie Inverters.
    Your local inspector's office may know and recommend a company with knowledge and experience.
    Do you need to submit plans to, and get approved by, the Electric Company?
    Do you have a NET meter?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mstgkillr said:
    Florida

Some areas of Florida require additional engineering report(?) of the roof structure. Check with local electrical inspector and power company.

My brother had 2 emphase fail in Ohio. Both good and bad, they replaced the inverters, and provided some money toward their reinstallation, but nobody was interested in replacing them. I wrote a full accounting here;

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/351601/micro-inverters-reliabilty-and-manufacturer-recommendation
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.