How low can they go? Pretty cheap pallet prices on panels.

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I just got an Email from AroSolar with a 34 cents a watt pallet price (they are a wholesaler that often sells only in multiple pallet quantities, though this is a pallet price on 22 - 310 watt panels) ...and SunElectronics has some grade 'A' panels at 27 cents a watt. (27 - 280 watt), They are Phono and GCL panels. I haven't checked to see if either has gone out of business.

I would think this is getting pretty close to, or below the material costs?

Any thoughts? perhaps in response to this administrations negative ideas on alternative energy?

I'm really thinking it might be worth buying a pallet and leaving in the garage, of course the last deal that I actually had a use for is just now getting used 3 years later....
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's more and more of them being made and as a result, the prices have dropped just like flat panel TV's. I don't know if I'd buy them if I wasn't going to use them right away though.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Trump likes to talk about tariffs. If they happen, panel prices will increase substantially. Though I wouldn't let that start making me buy stuff yet.

I bought my panels in 2011 thinking the price was really great. Installed in 2015...I think.

If they are in California, one could pick them up themselves. Florida is, I think, 700 miles from north to Miami...

Shipping fees for panels....you know the rest.

I may be interested in a pallet or two....depends. Sometimes my resale business license helps a bit.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #4
    These are both wholesalers, I'm sure the trend down, must stop at some point. The materials must cost some amount.

I've purchased at about the cheapest price available 2x, back in about 2005 I paid just under $3.70 a watt delivered for about a 1000 watts or blemished Evergreen panels, a pretty good price back then.

Then in about 5 years ago I paid just under 90 cents a Kwh for 4000 watts (full pallet) of blemished Evergreen.

It's just amazing that it's getting close to 1/3rd the price and these are both Grade 'A' new panels.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.