New Trojan 27TMX are swell

krmiks
krmiks Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi to everyone

I bought a new battery from 27TMX series. I have never used the battery. But there is a problem. There is a swelling on the right and left side of the battery, but is felt with the hand and seen with the eye. Talked to the seller, it is normal during production. The battery was normal, said the distributor. I do not trust sellers in Turkey. Do you think the battery is normal ?  There are black deposits on the electrolyte.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If they said it is normal, ask for an exchange for one that has no swelling, if it is unused,there should be no markings on the terminals,  the electrolyte should be clear if new.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Look at the positive terminals of the battery, if it looks like they are being "extruded" out the top of the battery, then the battery (probably) has internal corrosion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • krmiks
    BB. said:
    Look at the posit
    Can I use it if there is no internal corrosion.
  • krmiks
    The batteries of the solar system installed at Spice Village Resort in India. There is swelling in the same way. I do not know.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It is difficult to say... Some batteries have relatively thin cases and can bow out a bit. Some larger batteries are designed to be in metal sleeves (like some forklift batteries).

Another remote possibility... Assuming these are flooded cell, take the battery cap off and see if there is any pressure inside the cell (plugged cap vent). The battery cases can blow up like a balloon (a little bit). VRLA (valve regulated lead acid and AGM/GEL) will have a pressure relieve valve that will take a 1/2 PSI (or something) before they vent.

I would contact Trojan Tech Support and ask them directly:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/
    http://trojanbattery.mv.treehousei.com/Surveys/57/E4FEF31533E7F6C3/survey.aspx

Good luck,
    -Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Have had same question on slight bulging on new Trojan batteries. The cases, once filled, do tend to bulge a bit.

Pictures of new batteries on the web, tend to be empty cases for obvious reasons.

The picture posted above looks pretty normal for new batteries.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slight bulging in the India project ones, I don't think I would worry too much. It seems SLA batteries (Sealed Lead Acid batteries) coming out of UPS power supplies that have failed are often bulged to the point of bending metal inside the case. I guess they really are sealed! This has nothing to do with your situation, but I've been replacing these things for many years. Not my pictures, but I've seen many as bad!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now there's some abused batteries.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.