Hi there
You got someplace to go where I can read up on
On-grid v. off-grid
rooftop v. free standing
installed v. DIY
types of panel
and all the stuff I don't know enough to ask

and all on one page?

I don't want to research all this stuff that you folks already know, clear back to Einstein's paper on the photovoltaic effect.  I'm happy to look at other people's knowledge, and even to take advice!

denno

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    The best answer is to read posts here - then read some more while you are absorbing - then go at it again. Depending upon your electrical proficiency and common sense background, the learning curve is relatively easy, or extremely steep. Fortunately, this site is loaded with folks who can help!

Sorry, but there simply are no shortcuts to transfer the collective knowledge base - and hard earned experience offered by the people here. 

To be clear, people here are generally friendly and willing to help once you reach a point that you can ask questions looking for input/advice. Even the most basic questions are often a good place to start!

Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there's always the free online Solar for dummies. Very good base to start with.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• denno
    denno Registered Users Posts: 2
    Well, okay.  Thanks so far.  I've just looked at this
    http://www.aprs.org/off-grid-maybe.html
    which is part of what I meant. 
    I can see that other lines of inquiry will be calling the always-friendly and consumer-oriented (notsomuch) National Grid and seeing if, how, and what they pay for excess electricity.  For instance.
    Then calculate what I need.  Find out National Greed's requirements for installation.  Shop for installers or components.  Like that.

This forum looks like a good place to ask specific questions and details.
    "I'll be back."

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can best help by asking you some questions;
    What do you want out of solar?

Save money (generally not going to happen, perhaps in high cost areas with grid connected system.)
    Have a hedge against future electric rate hikes, (grid connected with a good contract best, off grid only if electric cost really sky rocket, in general)
    Help with the environment and have a smaller carbon footprint. (grid connect will help, off grid not so much)
    Have emergency backup for disasters. (Grid connect bad unless you have a hybrid system, which mostly defeats all other pluses!) 

Roof top in town if you have good southern exposure and the angle of your roof is within 15 degrees of your latitude. If rural stand alone makes sense to me and many others if you have the room. (Mine is stand alone as have pretty much all of my systems)

DIY is a personal question once you get past any rule which might require inspections or installation by a qualified/licensed person. Ask you power company if doing grid connect and ask you electrical inspector if off grid. Either way ask your insurance company if applicable!

Poly or Mono are fine, I think thin film doesn't seem to have a long life, large amorphous aren't made that I know of anymore.

System needs can be calculated from your electric bill, if you are trying to back feed enough electric to have a minimal bill or if you want to do everything you are doing now off grid. See how much energy you use each month. A dollar spent on conservation will save you much more in your solar system! 

General rules an off grid system will always cost more per Kwh than the grid (dang near always true).
    Electric companies are finding ways to increase the costs for solar energy providers/homes.
    Higher voltage runs on smaller wires with less losses!
    Girls who think solar is sexy, generally don't shave under their arms...lol

Hope this helps!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:

Hope this helps!
    Pretty funny Photowhit , Great to start my day with a laugh.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:

Hope this helps!
    Pretty funny Photowhit , Great to start my day with a laugh.
    LOL
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net