Power Optimizer AND charge controller?

Options
openplanet
openplanet Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
I have a 2kw array and a Midnite Classic 200.  Is anything to be gained by adding power optimizers to the array?  I know this might be a stoooooopid question, but then again, we may learn something from the answers.  Thank you.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    Options
    My understanding  is that an power optimizer is itself a MPPT device and DC DC converter  which is connected to an individual panel, optimizing the output of that panel, one per panel is used and the outputs are sent to a grid tied inverter vIa a monitoring portal . Would there be any benefit using them in conjunction with another MPPT controller? Perhaps since it would take an optimized voltage and further optimize it. That's no stupid question,it's an interesting question, the only other question is would it be cheaper to add to the array instead.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #3
    Options
    I have a 2kw array and a Midnite Classic 200.  Is anything to be gained by adding power optimizers to the array?  I know this might be a stoooooopid question, but then again, we may learn something from the answers.  Thank you.

You may have seen this warning in the later versions of the Classic Manual,

"DANGER OF DEATH TO YOUR CLASSIC Warning with Tigo modules Solar Mode must not be used or the Classic will not survive. MidNite does not recommend the use of Tigo Module Optimizers with the Classic. If Tigo modules must be installed Legacy P&O MUST be used  ..."

It is not clear what,  if any benefits Optimizers would provide.FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.