Naming a new, small cabin solar business?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
In the 90's it was often savvy to jockey for top positioning in Yellow Page ads. That is why we have so many plumbing and repair businesses with names like AAA Plumbing.

Then it often became necessary to jockey for appearing on the top of web searches. I used to pay a fair amount so that John Adams Photography would pop up when consumers were looking for photography services.

Craigslist is very popular these days. I have talked to a few construction guys who reported good results from their Craigslist ad.

Why am I getting opinions? Well...my name is John Adams. Adams Aquatics was/is a good name for a custom aquarium company. John Adams Photography was not such a great name for the photography business. Though the photography business is always a tough nut to crack. A lot of people like the name...John Adams. Others do not of course.

I am thinking of just calling it Cabin Solar. Could easily be Adams Solar. Or John Adams Solar. Or...........there are a million possibilities.

A few years ago I registered a construction business with the state named Adams Construction. Then the late 50's hit and I no longer like building cabins... Spent five years building this 8,000 ft shop during the warmer months.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Colorado "cabins" can be used for 10 days every 90 days. The owner can do his own work until he/she is working with more than 50 volts....what I heard. Per statutes.......
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    What about a name that includes the area where you want to work? I.e., Central Colorado Off Grid Sun & Solar

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    What about a name that includes the area where you want to work? I.e., Central Colorado Off Grid Sun & Solar

-Bill
    Plenty to be said for that idea. I am not close to being legally qualified to do more than cabin solar. Nor do I have the desire to do more sophisticated systems.

Have been considering Southern Colorado Cabin Solar.

Now that the government employs more people, many are newcomers to code, than the manufacturing segment, I am wondering if I even want to "dance" in this environment.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too bad you can't incorporate a quote from John Adams in the name. (The other one, that was the Pesident)   :)

Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • softdown
    edited December 2016 #6
    Options
    Horsefly said:
    Too bad you can't incorporate a quote from John Adams in the name. (The other one, that was the Pesident)   :)

John did not make too many famous and quotable quotes. Unlike Jefferson, Franklin, and Lincoln. Those three were quote machines.

John is pretty infamous for the Alien & Sedition Act. Not sure what was going on with his, otherwise brilliant, head....