Dump load Diodes

Options
cisco_ken
cisco_ken Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Wind Power Generation #1
The Whisper 100 uses nine diodes instead of the usual six to rectify the three phase input from the turbine. Could they be using these extra diodes to add a separate supply to isolate the dump load?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I would have to see the schematic of the Whisper rectifier block and how they operate the dump load(s).

In general, you can add parallel charge controllers to the battery bank without too much issue (typical wiring/maximum charging current for battery bank, etc.).

If your separate supply is not regulating (another wind or water turbine, etc.)--Then you would need to ensure your dump controller+loads are sufficient for your "new" supply.

Can you tell us a bit more about what you want to do--Rather than jump right into "the solution"?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cisco_ken
    cisco_ken Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    I was looking at the controller for my Whisper 100 turbine. The diode block from the three phase input of the turbine has 9 diodes in the block. They consist of sets of three diodes with one set having their cathodes tied together and the other two sets having their anodes tied together. One of the sets with it's cathodes tied together is connected directly to the dump load resistor. I was just wondering why they didn't just use six diodes.

This is a standard Whisper 100 controller that came with the turbine.

I would love to have a schematic for the controller but can't find one.

If I ever decide to change the controller, it would be nice to know how the diode block works. Should I just connect the new diversion controller to the output of the six diodes and ignore the other three?

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #4
    Options
    The three extra 3 diodes isolates the Dump Load circuit from the Charge Controller / Battery circuit.
    This way the Dump Load is only applied to the Wind Turbine.
    It prevents the Dump Load from ever discharging the battery.

If you get a different Charge Controller then connect the Dump Load per that manufacturers instructions, as their circuit may be different.