Problems getting the new Schneider/Xantrex C-35 controller to work...

Options

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last week, the LED started flashing red and green. That means that equalization is enabled. Equalization is supposed to stop after two hours. If it fails to do so, one is supposed to be able to use the "reset" button to correct this.

I didn't change any setting before it started flashing red and green. Pressing the reset button multiple times did nothing.

Busy fixing a boat bottom so I hooked up the large freezer to the 48 volt main solar system until I could address this problem with the 24 volt system.

The main system failed at 1am this morning. One of the eight 12 volt batteries has two bad cells. I am going to see how I do with four 8Ds now. The main 48 volt system is now a problem for a different thread.

It would seem that solar systems require an ever vigilant eye.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:

I didn't change any setting before it started flashing red and green. Pressing the reset button multiple times did nothing.

Manual says to stop equalization press the reset button until the led goes out. I take that to mean press and hold the button. Is that what you are doing?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
    softdown said:

Manual says to stop equalization press the reset button until the led goes out. I take that to mean press and hold the button. Is that what you are doing?
    I never took the steps to enable equalization and the readings never indicated that equalization was happening. Yes...I tried pressing and holding. I will try again....for ten seconds this time. Though I am pretty sure the CC simply went "maverick".

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    So.......the LED turned off after eight seconds. After about two seconds it started flashing green again.

To be honest, I have been concentrating on rehabbing a boat bottom and have largely ignored my solar arrays. Finding myself wondering about battery damage now.

How and why did the CC slip into equalization mode and stay there? I'd say the CC read EQ mode for about ten days. Like I said, wasn't paying enough attention to it.
  • littleharbor2
    edited July 2017 #36
    Options
    How long has this controller been in service? Are you sure the equalize function is disabled/set to manual?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
    Haw long has this controller been in service? Are you sure the equalize function is disabled/set to manual?
    It has been in service for a few months. The equalize function was indeed set to automatic. I never seen it flashing red/green until recently. It is supposed to automatically quit equalizing after two hours.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You may have damaged the internal timer circuit. Maybe when it was connected to the array without the battery connected first?

Has the timer worked right every time before this time?
  • softdown
    Options
    Solray said:
    You may have damaged the internal timer circuit. Maybe when it was connected to the array without the battery connected first?

I may have done that. Wondering why it took so long to start equalizing. I would also bet that few people, outside of working pros, know the batteries must be hooked up first.

You offered a good explanation at the least.

If hooking up the batteries first is urgent, manufacturers ought to make this requirement very clear. Only a small percentage are going to closely examine gigantic, generally pontiferous, installation manuals.

In fact,  I think instincts would often lean towards hooking up the batteries last. One generally "plugs in" a device to power after everything is ready to go.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Softdown, you are right about the connections of all components should be done first, but the critical point in the process is after hook up, you have to POWER UP the CC, before opening the connection to the PVs  (throwing the circuit breaker?)
    AFAIK, all the CC manufacturers have it in their manuals... hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    Those Trace/ XantrexSchnider  controllers are pretty tough. I doubt it's damaged. Sounds like you haven't seen it in equalize mode before. Sounds like it's working properly now.

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    Solray said:

I may have done that. Wondering why it took so long to start equalizing. I would also bet that few people, outside of working pros, know the batteries must be hooked up first.

You offered a good explanation at the least.

If hooking up the batteries first is urgent, manufacturers ought to make this requirement very clear. Only a small percentage are going to closely examine gigantic, generally pontiferous, installation manuals.

In fact,  I think instincts would often lean towards hooking up the batteries last. One generally "plugs in" a device to power after everything is ready to go.
    Probably true. I read every manual 2 times before starting any project, but that's just the way Dad taught me when we were building models as a kid. He was a Cadastral Engineer and a(n) RLS.
    A small sticker on the inputs and outputs of the controller would save a lot of damaged equipment over the years, but then it would also hinder sales of replacement products damaged by customer error and they are in business to sell things after all, it just seems a little devious.

While perfectly sound, the trouble with the 'connect to power after all other connections are made' concept fails when a system (like a charge controller in a solar power plant) has multiple possible sources of power. Batteries and panels can both provide power so it is not intuitive which goes first. Working on a car, it's obvious that you connect the battery after all your electrical connections have been made so anyone with an automotive background will lean that way.
  • softdown
    Options
    I came across an Air Force employee evaluation form for my late father. I believe it was filled out in the early sixties though it could be late fifties....going from memory.

One of the questions was real close to this: "Does employee have to read instruction manuals prior to assembly?" Back then, we were highly encouraged to "figure things out". Reading between the lines, only stupid people needed the directions.

That has changed of course but many dinosaurs are left with the old "figure things out" mentality.

He was a medical electrician by the way.
  • softdown
    edited July 2017 #44
    Options
    It appears that days of equalizing has done severe battery damage. At 3:15pm, I read only 24.6 volts. A very low reading for this time of day. It would be acceptable at 7am. So goes the business of life at times.

It is possible, of course, that it will take a few days to charge back up. Last night it was charged with servicing, for ~seven hours, two freezers and a fridge due to the loss of the main 48 volt system.

As for me, I am operating with an ~ 50% SOC due to last nights drama. I'm sure some of you think that is very generous based on today's posting....
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    Are you sure this controller has been equalizing for days? Have you seen the, Red/Green lights on for days? If you were equalizing for days your batteries should be very low on electrolyte and the voltage should have been quite high, at least when you shut down the event. What was the electrolyte level?

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Assuming they're flooded, you may want to check water levels. EQ is hard on them, but if they didn't overheat (temp comp'd?) the main risk is exposed plates.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    1650 pound forklift battery being charged by 360 watts of panels. No....equalizing is not the problem. The cells are still full from mid-May filling and using water miser caps.

Something is quite wrong, I just need to find out what it is. The S.G. readings correspond to the low voltage readings. This battery should be highly charged. It had no load for about a week.

It is almost as if the charge controller was doing nothing while blinking red and green. Tomorrow may yield more findings. Interesting that my old and ill cell phone died last night with the power outage. It will not turn on in spite of the usual tricks.

No attention at all to the solar systems has been exacting a price.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited July 2017 #48
    Options
    The old Cxx series controllers do fail... And leaving the owner confused (blinking/nonsense LEDs) and with a dead battery bank seems to be common.

If your voltage and current measurements do not make sense for the PWM controller (i.e., the controller is not behaving properly), it is probably time to replace it.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    The old Cxx series controllers do fail... And leaving the owner confused (blinking/nonsense LEDs) and with a dead battery bank seems to be common.

If your voltage and current measurements do not make sense for the PWM controller (i.e., the controller is not behaving properly), it is probably time to replace it.

-Bill
    It is cloudy so trying to measure incoming and outgoing voltage will wait for the sun. If your allegation proves correct, this controller likely had a very short service life. Though with two controllers in the area, I'm not sure which was "new" and which was "abused". Had problems, likely with my panel wiring, which has reflected in the controllers. Hence....this meandering thread.

Sometimes, though rarely, there is more than one culprit.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    That is a big battery to try to charge with 360 watts @ 24 volts. You're only getting about 10 amps @ 24 volts, if that. Very poor charging to battery ratio.

• Estragon
    Options
    With good water levels, and SGs matching voltage, the doing nothing but blinkinlights theory sounds right.

My phone needs to be at a minimal SOC to turn on (~10%).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    That is a big battery to try to charge with 360 watts @ 24 volts. You're only getting about 10 amps @ 24 volts, if that. Very poor charging to battery ratio.
    The thing is macgivored, see signature, there are ~600 watts on another bank with battery jumper cables allowing current to flow. The whole thing is kind of an experiment with batteries bought at roughly scrap value. The forklift battery was advertised as a 48 volt....I made lemonades with it.

All it powers is a new energy efficient chest freezer in a cool location. Well....today it is powering two chest freezers due to trauma with main 48 volt system. Bad day for clouds...so clouds are representing. Been a rough day...a very rough day.
  • Estragon
    Options
    It happens to us all. Have an adult beverage and consider there are much worse things that could happen than a controller that fails before its time. Tomorrow's a new day.
    Off-grid.  
  • softdown
    Options
    Estragon said:
    It happens to us all. Have an adult beverage and consider there are much worse things that could happen than a controller that fails before its time. Tomorrow's a new day.
    Things that have failed since 1am:
    *Main 48 volt solar system
    *Diesel genset failed to replace the main power like it always has in the past. Hooking up the genset normally induces higher RPMs as the genset charges the low battery bank. The genset did not respond to being hooked up to the inverter at all. RPMs remained low and I seen a voltage dip to 95 volts while at low RPMs....yikes. Hopeful this was caused by the battery with two bad cells but skeptical.
    *Removed one 48 volt battery bank and hoping that the remaining bank is enough.
    *Lost/misplaced/was stolen $300 gallon of Petit Trinidad boat bottom paint.
    *Cell phone will not turn on in spite of battery swaps.
    *Belly is still sticking out in spite of diet.
    *Mystery blood on porch with no injuries to dogs or goats....found this yesterday. Appears that something was bleeding badly.
    *Light in west wing quit working.
    *24 volt bank is behaving strangely....current subject.

Think I'd smoke if I had anything right now.

• softdown
    Options
    Apparently I have used 2.9KwH in the past 24 hours. Batteries at 55.1 volts at 5:20pm. Sure hope they don't collapse again in the middle of the night. I need some sleep.
  • Estragon
    Options
    I sincerely hope today is a better one for you.
    Off-grid.  
  • softdown
    Options
    Have two solar challenges at the moment. Recent developments:
    Xantrex C-35 shows about 27.6 volts at the terminals. That may seem alright though it is , of course, having little impact on the 1650 pound battery. The battery voltage has risen from 24.1 to 24.2 volts in the past two hours. Maybe the controller is OK now while it was doing nothing while blinking red/green.

48 volt bank survived the night with one battery bank instead of two. Morning voltage was 48.2. Still thinking of using it until it dies. Every month I squeeze out of it saves me ~~$75 in battery usage. Cripes....I could likely squeeze another year out of it by spending ~$400-600 on replacement batteries. Gee.

Genset usage is OK. I just managed it improperly when I awoke, stunned, to a 1am power outage.

Things are looking up today for sure. Yesterday morning was a nightmare. The controller was saying scary things like Comm Error etc. I was worried about a bad controller and/or inverter and/or genset. It was me being stupid.....out of practice.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited July 2017 #58
    Options
    The PV input terminals on the Cxx should be about Vbatt output voltage or a bit higher (voltage drop across controller of ~1 volt or so?).

The output voltage, if 27.6 volts at the controller Vbatt output terminals and 24.1 volts at the battery bus--That is a problem and either is too small of current (correct typo) to battery wire diameter, and/or loose/dirty connections/corroded wire/connections. You should have around 0.1 to 0.2 volts maximum voltage drop from controller to battery bank (under full charging current).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Options
    Flipped breaker while troubleshooting?
    Off-grid.  
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    The PV input terminals on the Cxx should be about Vbatt output voltage or a bit higher (voltage drop across controller of ~1 volt or so?).

The output voltage, if 27.6 volts at the controller Vbatt output terminals and 24.1 volts at the battery bus--That is a problem and either is too small of controller to battery wire diameter, and/or loose/dirty connections/corroded wire/connections. You should have around 0.1 to 0.2 volts maximum voltage drop from controller to battery bank (under full charging current).

-Bill
    Yes....this is surely correct. I'll see what happened pretty soon. Thanks.
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:

The output voltage, if 27.6 volts at the controller Vbatt output terminals and 24.1 volts at the battery bus--That is a problem and either is too small of controller to battery wire diameter, and/or loose/dirty connections/corroded wire/connections. You should have around 0.1 to 0.2 volts maximum voltage drop from controller to battery bank (under full charging current).

-Bill
    There was some corrosion so I cleaned up both bolted down connections. The controller showed solid green. Held down reset and it blinked red/green. Held down reset and it blinks green like it should.

Cloudy day....showing ~26.4 volts at controllers for panels and battery. Yet battery continues to read ~24 volts.

Is this possible? The bolt head for the neg is making contact with the bolt head for the grounding cable. Is that possibly  the problem?

I think I found something more frustrating than custom aquarium maintenance.