Anyone see a problem with paralleling a temp sensor between 2 controllers?

Options
cupcake
cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
Anyone see a problem with paralleling a temp sensor from one Morningstar MPPT-60 to another?  will look like:

temp sensor in battery box ---> controller one ----> controller two.

The leads on the temp sensor wire are hella thin and the screw lugs on the first controller can easily fit an extra 2 wires in them to carry on to the second controller... what sayeth the forum?

-- cuppy cakiey

~1.5Kw PV in parallel
Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot share a single RTS with 2 controllers, each must have its own sensor. Morningstar website support has a document that I have seen that points this out.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • cupcake
    Options
    Well I'll be!  Let me check the MPPT-60 manual to see if it will cite you..
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mcgivor
    Options
    This will save you the bother of searching.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • cupcake
    Options
    http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/RTS.IOM_.Install_sheet.07.EN_.pdf

No mention of it being a problem in the link (manual) above..

So can anyoen verify if its ok to parallel one sensor to signal two controllers?

?

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• cupcake
    Options
    Fudge... found my answer:
    "A single RTS CANNOT be paralleled or shared between multiple controllers."
    SOURCE: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/parallel-charging-using-multiple-controllers-separate-pv-arrays/

CASE CLOSED!

:(

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mcgivor
    Options
    The PDF states the diagram is for all Morningstar controllers,  See Notes, 3
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now the curious are wondering why a single BTS cannot serve two controllers.

I also wish they would use sturdier wire on some BTS. There is no way that I am going to try push a telephone jack through my labyrinth of wire going through 12" of various wall materials.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Generally, they are PTC or NTC (positive or negative coefficient) thermistors (thermal resistor).

Basically, the controller outputs a set current and monitors the voltage. V=I*R... The measured resistance changes with temperature.

If you put two controllers in parallel, then current is 2x higher. I would assume that the calibration would be wrong. Also, as you pump more current into the resistor, you would get self heating too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Adding to Bill  :)  If the controllers are on a network, generally most brands Outback, Schneider, and the Morningstar mppts usually need only one BTS. Sometimes they discourage multiple sensors!
     The diagram does not mention a network connection. Maybe Mike can update this as he uses Morningstar.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    With "systems" (charge controllers, inverters, etc.) that are networked together (Outback, Schneider, and others), they "digitally" share the sensor data--Not the actual physical analog (voltage/current) interface to the sensor.

If digitally sharing sensor, double check the programming is correct--It is very possible to think that the multiple devices are sharing temperature data and find out they are not.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #12
    Options
    Disagree Bill,  with Schneider and Outback systems. There is not programming to do this BTW. If you remember back in the day people with these systems were saying that only one device had the correct temp. They would then place a sensor on each device and sometimes this caused unexpected results. The manuals clearly tell you that only one sensor is required if networked.

One of the unexpected results was it caused some overshoot during absorption in AGM's that really upset some folks.

The word doc below is the only way I know to verify that a system is sharing temp data other than a BMS that looks at each cell in the Outback and Schneider Li-ion systems in mid 2017. One would verify this data with AGM's yearly to make sure they do not overvolt these batteries.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• cupcake
    Options
    ..just got done setting up mah 2nd morningstar mpt-60 and both controllers have their own separate RTS - and ALL IS GOOD!

:)

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot share a single RTS with 2 controllers, each must have its own sensor. Morningstar website support has a document that I have seen that points this out.
    I've not seen that doc, but I've not found any setting that allows sharing of a single sensor,  so Morningstar needs 1 sensor for each controller.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    Options
    The information about not sharing was from reading all documentation relevant to Morningstar controllers, as that is what my system uses, thought it was a good way to educate myself. The PDF on post #4 is where it stated use seperate RTS for each controller and applies to all Morningstar controllers, other controller manufacturer's may differ.
  • cupcake
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    mcgivor said:
    I've not seen that doc, but I've not found any setting that allows sharing of a single sensor,  so Morningstar needs 1 sensor for each controller.

SEE the link in post #6 for the source...

-- cc
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel