Options
jeffkruse
jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
The new Power Wall 2 looks amazing.

$6500 including installation.
13.5KWH usable
7KW inverter
10 year warrantee
I would assume the charge controller is also built in.

I think you just add panels. 
Looks great to me.  Anything major I may be missing?

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016 #2
    Options
    Tell me about your perception of the details of the installation and 10 year warranty.

What I have seen in writing isn't how it's presented in the advertising blurbs.
    What do you see as the operating temperature limitations?
    A 7KW inverter on a 13.5 KWH battery bank presents some interesting challenges.

I'm not being negative.......just inquisitive - after seeing so many claims that play with numbers and terminology fast and loose. The old battery technology of lead and acid has a diminishing lifespan for most applications. But certain players in the new technology arena are well known for selling the vapor "one of these days, we will have........"

A parts and labor installed cost of $6500. including:
    7KW inverter/charger
    13.5 KWH usable battery bank
    Line/load wiring with start up and training

AT that price it would indeed be interesting and easy to sell. Last year, Tesla defined "installed" meant screwed to a wall without wiring.

Details are important......... fill me in about the system relative to what got you excited.

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this time, it doesn't exist.  Pay $500 now and at some point (maybe quite awhile), you should get a site visit and then receive a purchase agreement with the important details.  A little sketchy for my taste.

On the other hand, the $/KWH-cycle looks good - $.13 even if you assume only 3650 cycles.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cost per total energy delivered is of course the holy grail.  I may be a little jaded, but I try to avoid looking at the cost effectiveness of a product that doesn't exist :)

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.utilitydive.com/news/5-unanswered-questions-after-teslas-big-solar-roof-and-battery-announcemen/429393/

Not even going there with national fire code or building mppt's at tile level or what happens when a string opens up.

Nice pipe dream for early adapters! 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It does look interesting to me, the evolving price point is interesting too, Musk also said he expects thee price to go down as production increases.  I suspect my poisoned cell on my forklift battery will make it a couple years yet. Had planned on going to a 48 volt system at that point, so an inverter and battery bank would make this price competitive, though the ultimate size of the battery bank is about what I have now. Perhaps by then we'll know more! Maybe an actual product. Musk has always come across as a salesman to me.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Lets keep this thread focused on the hardware/sales/distribution of the PowerWall... If anyone wishes to comment about Musk as a person/salesman--This thread is still available:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/341790/elon-musk-and-his-powerwall-companies

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sodamo
    sodamo Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the announcement is quite encouraging, very sketchy on details. I for one am hopeful as replacement batteries are in my near future. 
    The Tesla website forum has an energy section, but details are slim to none there, just adding to the confusion. Could be wrong, but everything I have read so far only has the PW1 in grid tied, not off grid, systems. It would be awesome if the PW2 was complete enough to drop between my PV panels and house distribution panel along with the appropriate disconnects/breakers, but who knows????? I'm guessing that the current SolarEdge inverter for PW1 performs both battery charging and power distribution to house, but don't know for sure. Would the built in Tesla inverter do both?
    I'm also concerned how a backup generator would integrate. Ideally, I'd like enough battery and PV to never need my generator, but present generation equipment makes diesel an affordable alternative for me.
    i need to PM Dave re battery update.
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
    12 - 1350ah Rolls Surette 4v
    24kw generator (Chinese, built in Az)
    10kw MEP803A backup generator