Temperature Sensor question

icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
Hey folks, still extant.  Been a long time though.

a quick question.  I just was given a 400 watt system including a Magnum 1kw ss inverter charger, an Iota charger and a C-40 controller.  The only thing missing is the battery temp  sensor for the CC.  My question is, since the C-40 temp sensor is no longer available, will the temp sensor from a Xantrex TrueCharge charge work?  (They have the same plug configuration). Or would the Magnum temp sensor work.  This will be an unattended data logging system that will sit over the winter so it would be nice to be able to have the CC raise the voltage as the temp drops,

hope all is well with everyone,

with kindest regards, and thanks in advance for any help,

tony

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Hi Tony,

Glad to hear you are still kicking around and having fun!

I sent your question to NAWS to see what they information they have--Hope to hear something tomorrow.

Take care,
    Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    Bill, I spoke to the on the phone yesterday and didn't seem to know.  Magnum's tech support suggested theirs had a different variable resistance, but couldn't say how.  

Ally's well. Been too busy, much time on the road!  The forum looks quite different, but some familiar names are still around, a few seem to have gotten...the ax?

As always, thanks for your help,

Tony
  • BB.
    edited October 2016 #4
    Here is the answer from Dan at NAWS says (and thanks to Rick & David):
    130-0004-02-01, is valid and still available. I made that active and made 130-0004-03-01 inactive in Quickbooks.

Dan Hanselman
    System Design Engineer
    Northern Arizona Wind and Sun
    Phone-928-526-8017 / 800-383-0195 Fax-928-527-0729
    Website-http://www.solar-electric.com
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    Merci!  Tony
  • icarus
    Bill, it seems that Dan's info is sort of...confused.  He uses the same number for both the inactive and active product number.  Additionally, neither number correlates with any other Xantrex numbers I can find on line.  So, I'm still stymied to know if the TC temp sensor is compatible with the C40.  Hmmm.

Tony
  • BB.
    edited October 2016 #7

Hi Tony,

Note that the -02-01 is still in production and that -03-01 is not (and other? I believe).

From the C40 glossy:

https://www.upc.edu/sct/documents_equipament/d_120_id-547.pdf
    130-0004-01-01, 130-0004-02-01, 130-0004-03-01 - battery temperature sensor
    The -02-01 is the 25 foot cable:

https://www.solar-electric.com/xabatese25fo.html
    Schneider Electric battery temperature sensor with 25 foot cable for C12, C35, C40, C60 charge controllers. Also for the old DR and SW series inverters. Schneider Electric's Battery Temperature Sensor is designed for use with C Series Charge Controllers. The BTS mounts on a terminal post of a battery in a bank or on the side of a battery and measures its temperature. It sends precise information to the charger or charge controller, which automatically adjusts voltage to ensure full battery charge depending on the ambient temperature of your battery installation.
    And should be orderable (might have to call Dan and get him to enter the order).

There is a Canadian retailer that claims stock too (bit more $CDN money--Don't know about taxes/shipping/customs charges):

http://www.thesolarsupermarket.com/proddetail.php?prod=130-0004-02-01

-Bill
  • icarus
    MY bad for not reading the numbers correctly...I'll blame it on dyslexia...yea that's it!

thanks Bill,

Tony
  • icarus
    I'm going to plug the one I have from the TrueCharge charger (that I'm not using) and knowing from the C40 manual how much the voltage should change with battery temp change, I can see if it works close to properly. I'm in a good spot right now as my temps are around 0c, batteries a few degrees higher.  I can heat them up artificially for a couple of days and see what happens.

Of course the Xantrex tps that I have has no numbers on it so I don't know what it actually is!

Tony
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini
    edited October 2016 #11
    divide the 24V.  sorry I thought there was a12 scale....
    It is not easy to measure the thermistor on the phone plug, but it can be done. Good for building  character :)

• icarus
    Thanks Dave,  I actually have a paper copy of that chart.  Also, in a Duh!  Moment, I realized I don't need to warm or cool the battery, but just the sensor, to read the change.

Tony
  • icarus
    Well, I answered my own question.  Installing the temp sensor from the TC charger on the C40 had exactly the reverse desired effect.  As you lower temp, the charge voltage goes DOWN instead of up.  So, you can't use the sensor from the TC chargers series on the C series controllers!  I guess I'll just have to set the voltage by had for some average winter temp and hope for the best.

Thanks guys for your help,

Tony
  • Dave Angelini
    Duh moments happen!  Here is a graph of my neighbors system on a 20C day inside the battery room. You can see the elevated set-points as it is probably about 15C inside the room.