What advantage to an outback hub?

Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
Since I have become aware that one Remote Temperature Sensor is not enough, I am faced with purchasing two more or getting a Hub to have my three outback products managed by my Mate.
The Hub will cost $100 more, and I am wondering what I get for that....
I looked at the Mate manual and do not see what advantage there is...the one I can think of is that I could limit the amount of solar going into my bank with the mate. Currently when I isolate one string of my bank I limit the solar through settings on each CC...this is not always the most efficient way, but the difference is probably very small.

Anybody know enough about Outback to comment? I have applied to join the Outback forum but am still waiting for approval so I can post this question...

thanks!
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    The Outback forum is about as exciting as a trip to the morgue....in my experience. I have the Outback MATE with all of the bells and whistles. Could be useful to a techie. I think you can check on things remotely? Which means that it can be hacked....

If you buy everything that some of the pro$ insist that you need, you may be Chapter 11 in awhile. Just my humble .02 .
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me about a week or more to get approved on their forum. Pretty slow paced forum but their IS a lot of good reading in the archives from the many years they have been around. Once you get through that don't hold your breath waiting for any amount of activity.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Freewilley
    I have put this question up on their forum...but does anybody here have a hub and one FX?????
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • Freewilley
    The outback forum has not come up with any benefit to a hub, beside the convenience of using the mate for programming.