16 volt solar charge controller

DConlyGuy
DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
was just wondering is there a solar charger that will charge a 16 volt battery bank? or maybe even a variable voltage charger controller even?
600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the small Morningstar controllers can be re-programed with a computer. I know their small MPPT ones can, and likely some of the PWM too.   Where do you get a 16V battery ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• DConlyGuy
    two   8 volt golf cart battery's 
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    edited September 2016 #4
    I picked up a sunsaver mppt charge controller,  (as per the previous post  )and wanted to know what it was doing . . . so I had to order the connector ( 30 $ )
     the connector would not plug into newer computer - did not have a 9 pin plug - so I used an older machine.
    ran the program and can access the numbers, but have not figured out how to have the numbers come up in chart form.
    Did access the custom settings, but did not change any parameters, but they can be changed, I just don't know how low or how high they can go . .

You will also have to check the power requirements / limits for this one.  I know that my 3 - 110 watt  - 12 Volt panels - connected to a 24 V battery -  are pushing the limits for this charge controller - on the solar side . .  not sure about the battery side of this one... 

I would call AWS and ask them, or call the Morningstar people directly.

Hope this helps.
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • DConlyGuy
    thanks i just sent morning star and email and we shall see what they say
  • DConlyGuy
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for writing us.   You can custom program any of our MPPT controllers using our free software MSView.   By changing the charge settings, you can make these compatible with your 16V battery.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Patrick Smith
    Technical Sales Engineer, Morningstar Corporation

here is what morning star said.  thanks mike looks like you were right