Do water miser battery caps ever fit on forklift batteries?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
Turns out that standard sized water miser battery caps will not fit on my forklift battery. The actual cap protrudes and hits the lead interconnects.

Wondering if their taller or extra tall caps would work on a typical forklift battery.

Photowit? Any luck in this area?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    The tall caps fit on mine no issues.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    • new2PV said:
      The tall caps fit on mine no issues.
      Did you need the tallest of the two talls?  They have:
    • Medium
    • Tall
    • Extra Tall
    I should get the extra tall to increase my chances. The demonic female goat may chew on them....
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    You will  need the tallest caps to be safe.  The only thing I dont like is that it makes it harder to see the water level. ALso some caps hurt your fingers to open them some are easy. I can go 3 weeks before refilling.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Turns out that standard sized water miser battery caps will not fit on my forklift battery. The actual cap protrudes and hits the lead interconnects.

Wondering if their taller or extra tall caps would work on a typical forklift battery.

Photowit? Any luck in this area?

I went with the medium height caps, they work for me, I think the medium caps were a little wider helping with the visual looking for water levels. I don't know if they are also wider on the outside.

I had a couple cap lids that were very tight when I originally installed them, but after 5 years they have loosened up a bit.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.