Anybody ever replaced the valves on a 500 gallon propane tank?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
A lot of us off gridders use propane. Now that we may get it for $1/gallon during the slow summer months, we may wish to "stock up".

A friend of a friend is a scrapper. He sometimes cuts up old propane tanks and uses them on trailers. So I might get a cheap price.

I figure an empty tank is probably a leaker. Who runs all of the propane out of a tank then lets it sit and turn to scrap?

Is it feasible to buy and replace the valves? I have heavy duty tools that allow for significant torque to be applied. I have also done significant plumbing (mostly on reef tanks).
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Should be pretty easy to test with compressed air and some soapy water.  I think that you will find that the propane fillers will have a problem with filling a non-certified tank, better ask your dealer.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Just remember that you do not "static test" pressure tanks with compressed air--They use water (or other incompressible fluid) to test tanks. If the tank "lets loose" -- Much less dangerous vs a tank filled with air.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    A lot of us off gridders use propane. Now that we may get it for $1/gallon during the slow summer months, we may wish to "stock up".

A friend of a friend is a scrapper. He sometimes cuts up old propane tanks and uses them on trailers. So I might get a cheap price.

I figure an empty tank is probably a leaker. Who runs all of the propane out of a tank then lets it sit and turn to scrap?

Is it feasible to buy and replace the valves? I have heavy duty tools that allow for significant torque to be applied. I have also done significant plumbing (mostly on reef tanks).
    We actually done the thing you mentioned. We ran it empty and let it sit for many many many years and the tank did not have a leak.
    We started to heat our home with wood and while we did not use the propane tank the propane gas company charged us a leasing fee in the meantime since we did not purchase the gas with them anymore.
    The only problem was that the gas tank was not their property at all and I had to threaten them with a lawsuit and they dropped the leasing bill. 
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Should be pretty easy to test with compressed air and some soapy water.  I think that you will find that the propane
    fillers will have a problem with filling a non-certified tank, better ask your dealer.
    They are both very careful and wanting to sell some propane and earn a living. A mechanically sound tank with new valves is about as safe as one can be. The tanks can probably handle ten times the pressure they have, the valves are the trouble spot when there is one. Assuming, of course, that the owner kept the tank generally free of rust. Having troubles posting. Board trying to tell me something?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    One comment I will make about propane tanks is that they CAN be positioned a considerable distance from your home. Just in case it ever caught fire or blew up at least there would be some buffer distance between it and you.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #7
    Should be pretty easy to test with compressed air and some soapy water.  I think that you will find that the propane fillers will have a problem with filling a non-certified tank, better ask your dealer.

softdown said:
    Should be pretty easy to test with compressed air and some soapy water.  I think that you will find that the propane
    fillers will have a problem with filling a non-certified tank, better ask your dealer.
    They are both very careful and wanting to sell some propane and earn a living. A mechanically sound tank with new valves is about as safe as one can be. The tanks can probably handle ten times the pressure they have, the valves are the trouble spot when there is one. Assuming, of course, that the owner kept the tank generally free of rust. Having troubles posting. Board trying to tell me something?

Most pressure vessels will have a test date stamped on them somewhere, when expired, 10 years generally, recertification using a hydrostatic test is required to extend the use of the tank. Smaller propane tanks are generally worth less than the cost of the test and therefore essentially disposable. Most, if not all, companies who sell/refill propane tanks will refuse to fill an expired tank, as it would make them liable should anything go wrong. So unless there are no regulations in your country or state, liability laws don't exist and life is generally cheap, testing with compressed air and soapy water will be of little use.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.