adding solar panels or solar pump

jnine
jnine Registered Users Posts: 2
I have a small 24v system that I have had for a few years 5 210 w panels and a 3000 w inverter also have a 5000 w inverter modified that I don't use. this runs all my lights a chest freezer and a couple of other things. Question is I have a drilled well that is 420' deep static level is 308' and pump is at 380' and I have a 11/2hp pump in the well. It is hard to find a solar pump to get the water that high but possible. I have been looking into pumps and also panels and many tell me different things and I understand will get different opinions on here. Would like answers with someone not trying to sell me there product. So I was wondering should I go the route of buying a pallet of panels or go for the pump. Now concerning the well want to get the water out of ground in emergency situation can pump it to a 300 gallon tank when sun is out in worst case. concerning batteries I have 12 of those big cell phone batteries not sure on amps. Hope this is enough info

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    best get the mane and model of those Telecom cells before you make any moves...  Have you looked at Grundfoss pumps?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #3
    Specifically, I'd look at the Grundfos SQ1 pumps plus a small booster pump to pump from your storage tank.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with the conventional well pump and a honking big inverter to run it,  Both easy to get in 24 hours if one breaks,  And affordable, considering I need a inverter anyway.
     What's the replacement time for the fancy MPPT pumps ?  Was poor years ago.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I would suggest you call a pump supplier for details about price, stock, and delivery...

Our Host (who pays and supports this forum) Northern Arizona Wind & Sun would be a good place to start. (I am a volunteer moderator here--I do not work for NAWS or any other solar supplier. Forum is for everyone--Not just customers of NAWS).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jnine
    jnine Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have not heard of these grundfos pumps but will look into them. So most of you think it would be better to remove my electric pump and buy a solar pump and buy less panels. Just in case I didn't make myself clear my goal is to  eventually go off grid. so I know I need to buy more panels to do that and I forgot to say that I do have a small wind turbine not very high yet but still looking into finding pipe for a tower So one more thing I have about 5000.00 saved trying to do this without borrowing. water is my most important concern than if money left will add to panels or tower. Also will call northern Arizona wind and solar and see what they say. One more thing just in case this matters I live in MO haven't found a lot of solar companies around here. thanks for the responses
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #7
    Note that if you connect panels directly to a solar pump, then the energy they produce while not pumping does nothing for you.   If you have batteries, I'd run from them (preferably only during sun hours).  The Grundfos SQ is not a solar pump (the SQ-Flex is).

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    The Grundfos SQF pump would work for you, if the final installation will fit within your budget and maybe it can. There are several of us on the forum that either use or have installed this pump and, so far, it has good reviews. I am very pleased with mine.

First, I do not think you need to buy "a pallet of panels", nor a truck load of batteries, nor an inverter if you decide to install the SQF. I base this on my current well pumping installation (see signature below). However, in lieu of batteries and inverter you will need some means to store a reserve of water in plastic tanks. Basically, you either store your water or store your energy. I can assure you, storing water in a tank is a lot less stressful than dealing with batteries and inverters. FWIW, I have two (2) above ground 1,500 gallon tanks that cost about $900 each delivered to my site. Hopefully, your watering needs may not require this much storage. Your site situation has significant influence on what, where, how you store your water.

The Grundfos controller (which you will need to purchase in addition to your pump) should be easily accessible and protected from the weather. For that reason, you may want to consider an enclosed structure adjacent to (or included with) your storage tanks. Also, Grundfos has an accessory that connects with the controller that allows emergency AC power from a generator to be used. I bought this accessory, but have never used it. I didnt think it through, when you have a copious amount of water sitting above ground, why do I need to hook-up a generator. Oh, well.

If you choose the Grundfos SQF, I fully support the recommdation made in BB's post above, get in touch with an experinced well drilling company before you finalize anything. I made the decision to go with Grundos and had a local well driller install the pump and run all the wiring to my controller. I furnished the equipment and he installed.

BTW, my well pumping system was installed a couple of years before I built my house. I use a Grundfos booster pump at the house to pressurize to 50 psi, but it's 240V. I also have a 12V Dankof pump at the "well house" that pressurizes a small watering system around the garden; (1) 215 watt panel, PWM controller, and 2 golf cart batteries. BTW, Dankof makes a 24V version for their pump. Check it out.

Hope this helps in your situation.

Paul
    in Georgia

Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • Solar2
    Solar2 Registered Users Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Get yourself a 3 phase 220V motor for that pump - $350  and a 2.2Kw, 220V VFD  -  $150.
    If your inverter is 120V only,  you will need a 1Kw distribution transformer to boost the 120 to 240 V  -  $100.
    Spend the rest of your $ on battery and PV.

18 Kw PV;  2000 AHr FLA Bat; 12 Kw Inverter;  20 Kw Kohler, LP, low speed, double muffled,   Home built, ground coupled heat pump, VFD enabled;  Leaf