Zomeworks and a crane

Greetings.  Finally we are setting up our last pole mounted array, a Zomeworks UTRF-168 with 9 Kyocera panels.  We have already put one such array up on a eight inch pole--15 feet up in the air.  We have also put up two fixed arrays on six inch poles with six panels on each.  We are doing the work ourselves, we are pretty remote, so it has taken some time to get to this last array.  My question has to do with putting together this last large Zomeworks on the ground and then using a crane to lift the completed array up and in place?  Has anyone used a crane to hoist the array up and into place?

The first identical Zomeworks we assembled up in the air on the pole, and to be honest it was a lot of work for us; we are not 29 anymore....  Luckily we have a back hoe and we used it to lift most the parts up and assembled it in place which was a real help, and maybe we should just do that again.  As an alternate I am thinking maybe put together our last Zomeworks on the ground (using sawhorses) and even attach all nine panels, and then hiring a crane to come out and lift the entire array up and set the array down onto the eight inch post since the gimble should drop right over its post.  I am sure some have tried this but I cannot find much information on how it went, did it work, was there too much flexing, unexpected problems, etc.  Leaving off the freon components/rails on the opposite sides would protect them and would allow hoisting cables to be attached to each corner (without risk of damaging these freon components) and the crane could hoist off these four corners, and then once up in place attaching the freon parts and connecting tube would not be too difficult.  A crane company I contacted has said they can lift it into place, but we have also had problems in the past with contractors heading up to our place and deciding the road was too rough, too remote, etc., so that is a wild card with no answer, even though this crane operator seems familiar with the area and task.  Appreciate any input that can be offered as we wrap up installation of our system.  What we have installed to date runs great, love the whole set up.
Home.  30 Kyocera 265 6MCA, FP2-VFX3648 (two FM80 charge controllers, FW-X240 transformer, MATE3, HUB10, FLEXnet DC, two 80A charge 
controll breakers, surge protector), Zomeworks (two-UTRF-168) 9 panels on each,  2 fixed pole arrays with 6 panels on each, 24 Rolls Surrettes S-1660 (2 v) for a 48 v battery bank, various MidNite circuit breakers, combiner boxes, Zephyr Power Vent, Hydrovolt, MidNite Solar surge protector for AC/DC circuits.  Honda generators; 800, EU2000i, EM3500sx, EM6500.  Generac 8000.

Off road Jeep trailer M416 conversion.  4 Kyocera 40 watt PV panels, Outback FX 2012 MT, Trimetric 2025 RV,  4 Optima Blue Tops, 400 watt AirX wind turbine (12 v), Morningstar Sunsaver S20 w/LVD disconnect , MidNite battery capacity meter, various fuses,.

NEW 12/21:  Sold the Jeep trailer, so that's gone.  The Home system is I am redoing completely, retiring the "old" home systems except still using Kyocera solar panels, etc.  New permitted system:  roughly 16,000 watts of solar panels (54 panels, Kyocera and REC), spread out on 2 Zomeworks, 2 Powerfab pole top mounts, and a large Snap N Rack ground mount (8000 watts with grade beam footings)..  2 Outback 8048A with load centers, 4 Outback flex 100 charge controllers, 4 combiner boxes, multiple surge protectors, Mate 3s, HUB 10, FNDC, 2 Lynx 1000 amp bus bars, 6 Fortress E Flex 5.4 Lithium Batteries, Square D Stu 223 disconnect, lots of matched battery cables, circuit breakers, fuses, etc.  Still finishing ground mount, inspector said to finish system and then final, estimate 2-3 weeks, no anticipated problems going well.  Kohler 14kW RESA, Honda EM6500, etc.

Comments