Conversation with battery distributor

elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I've begun to work out a small 24V system for use at my barn.  I had some "extra" materials and decided that, instead of just letting them sit there without use, I would make a little system at the barn to run fans and who knows what else.

I've installed the panels, a combiner box, a mini dc disconnect, switched the Classic 200 cc from the house to the barn and am in the process of the battery bank "restore."  I had used some Trojan 125 golf cart batteries at the house before I got a forklift battery and have kept them workable although not great.  They were used batteries to begin with so I can't expect miracles.  So, I had been on the hunt for some blems.

There is an Interstate battery distributor nearby who said he had some 6V golf cart batteries.  They were not blems but returns.  When I questioned about the reason for the return, according to him it was because the customer needed a different one, etc.  I told him that I'd like to see what he had.  Yesterday, I made the trip.  What an eye opener!

I had looked ahead of time online for the battery specs but couldn't find anything.  I took my volt meter and hydrovolt with me so that I could check these out.  I also took a flashlight so that I could see if any of the plates were bent.

To make a long story short...he had never heard of a data sheet!  He did not know the terms absorb, float, EQ, etc.  I figured that since he didn't work with solar, that seemed possible.  BUT, here's the kicker.  He wouldn't let me check the batteries!  He said they all test good with the voltmeter so he knew they were good.  I asked what the SG was.  He said they tested at 100%.  When I said that SG is not a percentage, it is a number.  He said that when the volts were good, the SG was good, too.

No amount of trying to teach him was going to help, so I just said that it doesn't appear this is going to work out. "You expect me to plunk down my money and not know what I am buying."  Does that seem reasonable to you?  You'd think he would want to make a sale.  He wouldn't budge, so I walked out.  I was planning on possibly buying 8 of those little puppies so he lost a sale.  But, more importantly, it was gratifying to know that I've learned a few things along the way!  Thanks to this board, I'm not as ignorant as I used to be.  :-)  And, hopefully, not as educated as I hope to become.
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Is volts/SG/temp really enough to prove that capacity is good?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    not surprising when i went to the local golf cart place here to buy my battery's. he had no clue that people used his battery's for solar. and to top it off he uses crown battery's and was 30 bucks cheaper than what i could even find only line for 6 volt battery's
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    I have the same question as jonr. 

And I was doubting it as well as of just this morning. 

But believe the sg is really pretty good indicator.  
    I believe the main loss of capacity is due to sulphation.  But if that happens it would appear no amount of charging will boost the sg whIle still leaving plates sulphated.

The acid is either in/on the plate or it is not.

But don't think that does anything to prove how much life is still left and how quickly they could go south.

I would probaby guess that overcharging could cause plate erosion but not sure how common a problem and how much that effects capacity. There would still be same acid concentration[sg value]  but lower plate material. Not sure if that is a bigger issue for life left or if it effects capacity. 
    But I will wait for some one more educated about such things to confirm.