Can the Midnite Classic 200, be used "Plug and Play"

Options
Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admit, I have no idea how I get myself into these things...

So helping one lady with a RV problem has lead to another lady who purchased a "Renogy 1800 watt cabin kit" I think she is uncomfortable even framing the question. I know I'm being lazy. But bed time is about an hour or 2 away, and I'm brain dead since the Air conditioning has failed at work and my brain is par-boiled...

http://www.renogy.com/renogy-1800-watt-24-volt-polycrystalline-solar-cabin-kit/

It comes with a Classic 200 Charge controller, and she is baffled by it. I've just got a few classic lites, which would be simple to setup as Plug and play. Can a Classic be set up default, Plug and Play? She is running a 24 volt system, Can she just hook it all up close the battery breaker, then close the solar breaker? Will it default to a reasonable Charging for flooded Lead Acid Battery bank?

She has a reasonable, if undesirable, battery bank of 4 strings of 114 amp hour 12 volt "marine" deep cycle (Walley World Special) batteries. So she is in the correct charging range.

Sorry for cheating and asking the forum here, I could look it up my self, Someone on another forum even linked her the the Midnite video's, but she has some cognitive learning problems... Please I've warned her about the multiple strings of batteries, but she owns them... it is, what it is...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Photowhit,

From the latest manual for FW version 2056  on page 86;

For 12, 24, 48 V batteries ...  Too low for FLA Abs,  too high for Float,  and essentially NO EQ,  as defaults,  but if you set it up with better Vs,  and it is "Entered",  it should be remembered upon power-up.

12V      24V        48V - Battery V

Float
    13.6v    27.2v     54.4v

Equalize
    14.3      28.6v     57.2v

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Classic series has had many firmware updates, and you might want to configure a laptop PC to update the firmware, and run the Local App (remote control from a computer) and update the system firmware and fine tune the settings for her batteries,
    And when the batteries fail, replace the bank with 4, 6V 200ah golf cart batteries, better current sharing between parallel banks.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm 1000 miles away from her, It came frome me helping some one here, who ran of. I traked down where she had gotten some bad info at a Solar RV Facebook site. She was rudely cut off there, since her's is a fixed system. I sent her here butI don't think she felt confident enough to define her needs. I've been helping her in a discussion on Face book...

I told her about the poor choice in batteries... It is what it is...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.