Is there a circuit that will "intentionally" drop PV voltage?

Hi,

My PV voltage output is too high for an inverter im looking to get. Is there a way i can step down the PV output voltage so my inverter becomes happy?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

More info?

Is this a minor drop or are you wanting to use a 12 volt inverter on a 48 volt system?

What type of battery bank, are you trying to use the array without a battery bank? This doesn't work in general....

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Is your inverter (for example) rated to 15 volts, and the battery is being charged to 16 volts (causing the inverter to shut down)?

Or are you trying to run your solar panels directly to an AC inverter without a battery bank?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BeesAndHoney
    BeesAndHoney Registered Users Posts: 2
    definitely using a battery at 48v. My water pump is consuming 1.5hp. My PV no-load output is 150v and i need to go to about 90v for the solar charger to be happy
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

Please describe your system... everything.  Solar panels, batteries, charge controller. inverter.  (Hint: you can put it in your signature).   Also, how are the panels configured (series, parallel)?    If I understand the issue, your panels are in series and the string voltage is too high for the controller. 

In your original post, you wrote "Is there a way i can step down the PV output voltage so my inverter becomes happy?"  I think you meant "controller", not "inverter".

--vtMaps

4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i