Wiring Fan to panel - Very basic question

shaundeane
shaundeane Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone - I have a 15w panel and I want to use it to move air through my woodshed to help the wood dry faster and more efficiently. Very very basic set-up, the panel to run a 12v fan when the sun is out and when it's not, no big deal. No batteries or anything like that. I got a nice 15W panel and connector kit but there is no connector for the two prong standard plug on the fan. Is there a junction box or converter I can buy or should I cut the plug off and wire direct? Been searching around but can't find an answer so far. Thanks for any advice. I am excited to be dipping my toes in...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Just solder the wire to the fan connector (or wire pigtails) and insulation with tape as needed. You are working with low voltage and current levels--No real danger here for shock (do make good connections, do not be careless--Your shorted solar panel will output ~1 amp into the short--If it was a "stray strand" of wiring that made a short--It could overheat and start a fire (rare/worst case example).

Note, if you solder the wiring--Soldered wire should not be flexed--The wire will tend to break at the solar joints (i.e., don't mount panel to roof and fan to building door--Where opening/closing the door will cause wire to flex at the solder joint and work harden the copper wiring).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shaundeane
    Thanks Bill! I just gave it a quick _finger try" and while I can confirm that the panel is functional, I could not get the blades on fan to turn (they work when plugged in to AC). Perhaps the fan is too big but I kind of doubt it. I will play around - all part of the learning curve. Thanks for taking a few mins to try and assist.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    A.c. Rated fan needs ac voltage/current (generally).

What is the rating label on your fan (there is 12 vac vs 12 vdc.

A 15 watt panel will probably drive a 12 vdc @ 0.5 amp fan reliably.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shaundeane
    Thanks again, Bill. I'll search for a 12vdc fan