12v 7 amp charge controler question

Options
Saburai
Saburai Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hi gang,
Quick question:
Should my little 12v 7 amp global solar controler limit the voltage output when it's not connected to a battery? I'm going through some camping gear and connected it to a 62w folding panel and it's outputting the same 24+v weather I read volts at the panel directly or after the cc.
Many thanks for the help!

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about that unit but all the others I am familiar with need to be connected to a battery first, then the PV. That way the CC reads the battery voltage and knows what it is supposed to do. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of charge controllers have instructions that tell you not to try and use them with out a battery connected.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Saburai
    Saburai Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the help gents!