controller amps max

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
If a KID controller has a 30 amp max and you have 48v solar array  then you have about 1500 watts max,no???? So if you have your load output to an inverter of 3000 watts you still cant draw more than 1500 watts..??

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you going from the Kid to the inverter without a battery?  I assume that you have a battery and that you might be able to draw 3000 watts for awhile (depending on the battery).

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #3
    ws9876 said:
    If a KID controller has a 30 amp max and you have 48v solar array  then you have about 1500 watts max,no???? So if you have your load output to an inverter of 3000 watts you still cant draw more than 1500 watts..??

ws..,

IMO,  it is not a good idea to connect an inverter to the Load terminals of any CC. Most inverters have fairly large-value capacitors on the DC input.   When this load is switched on,  form the output of the KID,  the large inrush current can cause the  an over current condition,  and could possibly blow the output fuse in the KID.

Also,  the relatively lowi-ish current rating of the KID's Load circuit will probably limit the Surge rating of the inverter.

...  My read on things,   FWIW.     Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • vtmaps
    Vic said:

IMO,  it is not a good idea to connect an inverter to the Load terminals of any CC.

True... I didn't realize that's what he wanted to do... I thought he was trying to hook the inverter directly (no battery) to the controller main output.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ws9876
    with a battery bank 48v
    the KID manual shows the load coming from the CC. It shows a light bulb as a representation.
  • ws9876
    if you didnt connect the inverter to the LOAD then where would you connect the inverter??
  • ws9876
    solved    the inverter always goes directly off the batt terminals..
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Well to a CB or fuse then battery. 
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #9
    Yes, the CC and inverter connect together and then to the battery, BUT, it is good if there is little as possible cable from batteries to the inverter and CC.  OR, very little cable from CC to battery and maybe more length to the inverter.  This helps to keep the inverter drawing more from the battery and less from the charge controller itself...  Especially if the CC's current limit might be a bit slow to respond to the inverter's need for surge current.

For instance, if you had say, 50 feet of cable from battery terminals to the CC and inverter, connected both at that 50 feet away point, then the battery would be so decoupled from the inverter and battery that all of the surge and higher frequency current that the inverter needs to operate would be coming from the CC.  When battery cable is short, the battery makes a GREAT low resistance feed point and filter so the inverter and CC have less "talking" with each other, current wise.  They both have to talk to the battery to give and receive their power and current.  Sort of like that anyway. :)
  • fauss
    fauss Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Glad I read this thread. I didn't know the inverter connects to the battery AND CC. Makes sense now. Would you put a low voltage cut off in between the inverter and battery? I assume most cc's have one...right?
  • vtmaps
    fauss said:
     Would you put a low voltage cut off in between the inverter and battery?
    The default LVD (low voltage disconnect) of the inverter is designed to protect the inverter, not the battery.  Full featured inverters have an adjustable LVD which can be set to protect the batteries.   It is possible to retrofit a LVD to any load (including an inverter), but I think it is usually more cost effective to buy a full featured inverter.
    fauss said:
     I assume most cc's have one...right?
    You are referring to "load terminals" with a LVD?  I am not aware that MOST controllers have load terminals (maybe they do).  When load terminals are present, they are usually switched on/off by voltage or time or daylight... and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

--vtMaps