I have not a clue...

JWRaz
JWRaz Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi, Everyone. This is my first post. So, i think i may have got a good deal on a small solar setup. Not exactly sure. But, now I'd like to put it to use.

Everything seems to be already setup and in new condition.

The setup:

Best Power Technology Battery Cabinet w/ DC Off/On switch
Renogy PWM Charge Controller (30amp model: PWM30-YS)
2amp trickle charger
6000/12000watt inverter Model:PI6000 (not sure of brand, but found under "Advanced Power Inverter 6000/12000" on eBay.
20 - 12v Werker 33ah batteries (from observation, all negatives connected in parallel, then ran to inverter. all positives connected in parallel, then running to DC switch, then to inverter)
2 - Renogy 100w Mono Solar Panels 

I have not tried plugging anything into this system, thus yet. But, according to the controller, all batteries are good/undercharged (green). I have been plugging the trickle charger in daily, and within an hour or less, the battery led (green) blinks on the controller, then i unplug.

I just want to be able to run 2 small freezers, 24/7. I believe the total wH of the two freezers is 250wH, combined. So, around 6kW daily.

The questions:

Is this system even compatible with itself? Can the system handle this load? Do i have too much or too little of something? Should i continue trickle charging?

Thanks!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero chance! just think...

The 2 - 100 watt panels, in someplace sunny like southwest US, can produce less than 1 usable Kwh of stored energy....

20 12 volt batteries in parallel is a nightmare.

I don't do 6 Kwhs a day except in the summer, though I could in the spring and fall, with a 4000kw array.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, 
    Not much of what you purchased will be of use for your application.

First step in designing a system is to determine the loads. 
    JWRaz said:
    I just want to be able to run 2 small freezers, 24/7. I believe the total wH of the two freezers is 250wH, combined. So, around 6kW daily.
    Those freezers probably draw 125 watts each (not watthours).  They probably have a duty cycle of 30-40% (i.e. the compressor is running and drawing 125 watts for about 30-40% of the time.  Let's guess that the compressors are running for 8 hours a day.  That means 8 hours X 250 watts = 2000 watthours = 2.0 kilowatthours.

Get yourself a kill-a-watt meter and find out how much energy you need in a day.  Then we can help you design a system.

Your battery capacity (amphours) is probably enough for the task, but 20 batteries in parallel is unworkable and will have a very short life.   Those solar panels will not be able to either run the freezers or charge the battery.  The inverter is a joke... 12000 watts at 12 volts is 1000 amps!  There is no way you have thick enough wires to handle that current,  or even half of that.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much money you payed for all this.
    Like vtmaps said already, a fridge or a freezer uses about 1 kw (1000watts)each per day if they are newer and older units take more power.
    The battery bank may be big enough for your freezer and fridge.
    But you need a way to recharge your batteries and the solar panels are way to small to do that at a daily basis if you use your fridge or freezer or both. The standby power ( nothing plugged up, only turned on) that your inverter uses most likely uses more power per 24hr day  than your two 100 watt solar panels can make.
    The inverter is also a msw ( modified sine wave ) inverter that may or may not start your motors or that could overheat or burn your motors up, with inductive loads like a motor and electronic items a pure sine wave inverter is recommended to avoid that your items are getting damaged.

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I figure each 200w panel is good for about 1kwh of generation. 
    The inverter is cheap inefficient crap.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    The most common mistake that those new to solar power make is buying equipment before they know what they need. It can be costly. However, if you can't return the the items you purchased, at least you have the makings for a small system to learn and experiment with.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Johann said:
    Like vtmaps said already, a fridge or a freezer uses about 1 kw (1000watts)each per day
    I never said that.  The energy a fridge or freezer uses is measured in kilowatthours, not kilowatts.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • JWRaz
    Thank you for all of the responses. Soon as I can get in front of a computer, to add to this discussion, I will do so.
  • JWRaz
    I paid $1k for the complete setup. Since, the inverter is pretty much useless, i really just bought a couple panels and a bunch of batteries. :)

So, should i just divide this system up into 3-4 separate systems? Perhaps a couple for lighting only. Maybe, buy a couple more larger panels to build a decent sized system to mount to my tool shed and use for occasional woodworking/power tool usage and such?

I just want to be able to salvage these batteries, and use in the most proficient way possible. Any other ideas?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    I like to size the batteries to the job at hand. So what AH@Volts and/or what Wattage and Watt*Hours do you need to run your loads?

1 amp * 10 hours = 10 Amp*hours @ 12 volts (example)
    15 watts * 8 hours = 120 Watt*Hours (at 120 VAC or 12 VDC or what)?

If you have a bunch of places where you want some light (or power) and can install a few batteries and a panel--Great.

Also--Check the charge on the batteries (resting voltage or specific gravity--if not sealed). Flooded Cell batteries need to be recharged every 30 days (or kept on continuous float). Sealed/AGM/GEL batteries may go 6 months (if stored in a cool place) between charging.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset