A solar angle tool

Options
SolarBrother
SolarBrother Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello Solar friends,

I am quite new to this forum, I have browsed it for a little while now, however this is the first post I have made.

I have worked for a few different solar companies now and am starting to get a deep understanding of some problems and amazing things in the solar world.

One of the largest problems I have noticed is solar proposal teams getting roof angles wrong! This makes a huge difference in calculating how much you are actually going to save!

I have designed a tool to help curb this problem. Let me know if you know of anyone that could benefit from this tool!

Here is a video demonstration of it:

*Edit*

As pointed out it is not accurate for compound angles (hip type intersections).

Thanks!

-Spencer Burgess

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry Spencer, but this is not only a sales pitch, but It also is MORE likely to give people bad results.

Simple photos from the street work poorly. While it would take a bit to point out some, let me show you one that has a very accentuated angle. You are basically looking at a pyramid shape falling away from you and trying to calculate the angle. You came up with 14 degrees. Take another step forward and the angle will be nearly flat (approach 0).

With out being there I can't make a definitive statement, but I'd bet that angle is greater than 30 degrees. If you want to test this make a pyramid and look  across it at eye level, the angles will be close to true. look at it from below 'grade' and the angle quickly becomes flatter.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solar Brother said;
    As pointed out it is not accurate for compound angles (hip type intersections).

It's NOT accurate if you are not on the same grade as the triangle. You will run into the same problem if you are lower than the pitch of the roof. The angle you perceive will always be less than the actual angle.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • SolarBrother
    SolarBrother Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2016 #4
    Options
    Very valid point. The original idea or goal behind the design for this program was more aimed toward solar proposal teams, who never actually get to see the home and rely wholly on images to gather the angle and information to generate a proposal. I have worked for a few different companies in the solar department and the angles are pretty wildly guessed. The idea is that this would help make it a more accurate guess, although without actually visiting the home you can never really be spot on (And can be very greatly wrong, depending on the angle of the picture).

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks