generater

petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
Hi  can get  HYUNDAI DIGITAL INVERTER GENERATOR HY2000SI  for about a third of a honda  equivalent . 
Any one had experiences with the Hyundai
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    One of the neat things with the Honda eu2000i is that you can put a fuel cap with a gas line on it and syphon from a 5 gallon gas can... Much easier than having to refile the 1.2 gallon fuel tank.

Also, you can get a propane conversion kit.

The Honda, in general, has had folks here that get 2,000 hours or even more (a report at 6,000 hours) service life (with standard oil changes, maintenance). The Honda's are not really repairable/engine overhaul more than broken external items.

I do not know about the Hyundai--But earlier "suite case" generator (Honeywell) really did not run very long before they had problems (hard starting).

Yea, at 1/2 the price--The Hyundai cannot be ignored. But there are reasons that Honda and Yamaha have been able to get those higher prices.

The Hyundai is heavier (and bigger?) than the Honda eu2000i--But the Hyundai is also rated for more power. Really depends on your loads.

Note that inverter-generators usually do not support "surging" loads very well (compressors, pumps, etc.)... They do not "ride through" the surges as well as standard generators (inverter-generators may shutdown AC output).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Well not impressed with my 3 year old Yamaha ef3000ise, not a lot of hours , maybe 5 hours a month say 200 hours and the generator rotor let go. The glued on magnets decided to detach from the rotor. I thought that was why I was buying an expensive generator.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep sounds like a Yamaha

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• rmcewen
    rmcewen Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I have had a Yamaha ef2000 for about five years and it's been great.  Probably about 200 hours also.  Had an issue with surging about a year ago probably caused by leaving bad gas in for too long but some SeaFoam took care of it.

You can spend months reading anecdotal evidence about  the superiority of the Yamaha or Honda but they're both good generators.

As for the Hyundai, the ratio of bad reviews to good reviews is definitely higher so your risk is higher and performance isn't quite what you'd get with the red or blue generators.  But you never know.  The best mid-size generator I've ever owned was a cheap Chinese ETQ 4kw that always started on the first pull for years in spite of being left outside year round.  When it was stolen I "upgraded" to the Champion everyone raves about and it won't start at all if the temp is below freezing.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    rmcewen said:
    I have had a Yamaha ef2000 for about five years and it's been great.  Probably about 200 hours also.  Had an issue with surging about a year ago probably caused by leaving bad gas in for too long but some SeaFoam took care of it.

You can spend months reading anecdotal evidence about  the superiority of the Yamaha or Honda but they're both good generators.

As for the Hyundai, the ratio of bad reviews to good reviews is definitely higher so your risk is higher and performance isn't quite what you'd get with the red or blue generators.  But you never know.  The best mid-size generator I've ever owned was a cheap Chinese ETQ 4kw that always started on the first pull for years in spite of being left outside year round.  When it was stolen I "upgraded" to the Champion everyone raves about and it won't start at all if the temp is below freezing.
    Well send it down here then, Always over 70f