Damage solar panel suggestion

Options
DarkstormNH
DarkstormNH Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
Hello All

I have found 3 panel damaged on craig list
Three damaged solar panels for sale, $50 each or all three for $125.
(2) SolarWorld 275 watt
(1) TrinaSolar 255 watt
These are fully functional but have shattered glass. We can test them when you pick them up so you can be sure they produce electricity. They are perfect for tinkering etc.
Cash only, buyer must pick up. Price is firm. 
as you can see they have shattered glass however the gents said they do test ok, my thought was can I buy them and replace the glass or that is not a good idea?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

These PVs will allow humidity and water to enter the insides.  This will damage the connections,  and probably the cells in time.

If you keep them out of the weather,  they may be OK for a while,  but in humid environments,  they could still become damaged in a period of time.

Would advise avoiding these,  unless you have a spare $125  to toss around.

Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • DarkstormNH
    Options
    can i put glass on top of them?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes you could put glass on the top of them,  and this could help a lot in the hermetic seal.  Some PVs have an Anti-Reflective coating,  but some of the SW-245s and 265s appear to have had no AR coating,  and appeared to use flat-glass.  Also,  glass on the front of PVs is usually Low-Iron glass,  and so on.

If you want to play,  and can afford the experiment ...  why not,  ?

If you were to place glass on the PV fronts,  ideally,  you would want relatively low humidity air inside them,  and the adhesive that you use might important.  Silicone will not adhere to cured silicone sealant (usually),  and there are adhesives that have better adhesion than Silicone.   Single-part Polyurethane has good adhesion,  and is quite flexible.

All FWIW,  Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • DarkstormNH
    Options
    i will heed your advice and stay away