Panel connection configuration advice

Options
DarkstormNH
DarkstormNH Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I have the following two panel from kyocera KD 200-54 F Series
  • Electrical SPECIFICATIONS Standard Test Conditions (STC)
  • STC = 1000 W/M2 irradiance,
  • 25o C module temperature,
  • AM 1.5 spectrum* KD215GX-LFBS KD220GX-LFBS Pmp 215 220 W Vmp 26.6 26.6 V I mp 8.09 8.28 A Voc 33.2 33.2 V I sc 8.78 8.98 A Ptolerance +5/-0 +5/-0 %
  • I also have 4 trojan t105 batteries connected in 24 volts,
question is would these two panel charge the batteries at 24 volts? 
the charge controller is from 
  • WindyNation TrakMax 30L LCD MPPT 30A Solar Charge Controller Regulator + Temperature Sensors + Remote Meter, 12 24 48 Volt
Also if i where to expand the batteries to 8 would 4 panel charge the bank? using the same charge controller
please advise

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have two panels totaling 430 watts.  Under typical conditions 77% of that (331 watts) will be harvested.  At a charging voltage of 29 volts, that 331 watts will be 11.4 amps.  If there are no loads, that 11.4 amps will go into the battery. 

Your batteries are 220 ah.  Thus 11.4 amps represents a 5% charge rate.  That is a fairly low charge rate, but under some circumstances it might be workable.  A lot depends on your loads and how many sun hours per day in your location.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • DarkstormNH
    DarkstormNH Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps said:
    You have two panels totaling 430 watts.  Under typical conditions 77% of that (331 watts) will be harvested.  At a charging voltage of 29 volts, that 331 watts will be 11.4 amps.  If there are no loads, that 11.4 amps will go into the battery. 

Your batteries are 220 ah.  Thus 11.4 amps represents a 5% charge rate.  That is a fairly low charge rate, but under some circumstances it might be workable.  A lot depends on your loads and how many sun hours per day in your location.

--vtMaps
    ok the two panel is to start plan on buying two more getting the two of craig list supplier have a few more
    so more direct questions would the charge controller handle the two for now and 4-6 more panel later
    also do I just wire the two for now in series?

Thanks
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For now, wire the two panels in series.  I am not familiar with your controller... make sure it can handle an input voltage of at least 85 volts.

That controller is rated 30 amps output to the battery.  As I explained previously, the panels you have will typically put out 11.4 amps.  Adding another two panels will double that.    I wouldn't go any further with that controller.  6 panels total would be 34 amps to the battery, and that is beyond the ratings.  It also means that the controller will spend a lot of time at full throttle... not the best for longevity.   Also, the 11.4 amps I calculated is a typical power level.  Power levels can be a lot higher in cold weather.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i