SW5548 gen auto start?

Options
arby
arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
Hello,
 Does the gen auto start on the Xantrex SW5548 still function if I have the inverter in OFF?

Two or three times I have found a dead genny battery, and was wondering if it tried to start several times and killed the battery even though I had the inverter switched to off while I was away.
Checked the manual and could not find the answer.

Thanks
3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Many generators use an AC battery charger for the starting battery. No ac power, dead genset battery. (Genset battery is usually not monitored)

The usual solution is to connect a small solar panel+solar charge controller directly to the genset battery.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited January 2016 #3
    Options
    What I am wondering is the auto gen start still operating if the inverter is in the off position, but the auto start feature was in the on position when shut down.
     My problem is that when I left my camp, the new gen battery was fully charged. When I returned 6 weeks later and attempted to start the genny, the battery was dead. I wonder if even though I set the inverter to off, that the auto start feature still could operate, and because my bank was low attempted to start the genny which wouldn't start , so many times that it killed the battery.

If that isn't the case, I have to assume that there is some kind of draw on the genny battery from something else.
    PS: I feel kind of stupid asking this question , but this has happened more than once.
     Thanks
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.