gen charge

Options
oadkins
oadkins Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
What can I use to automatically charge battery bank with generator without buying expensive charge controller

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #2
    Options
    Most here would use a stand alone charger or a Inverter charger with a generator. I have been using IOTA chargers for many years. They have gotten more expensive recently and are not as good of a buy as they once were. I see a Golf Cart charger that Sams Club touted as a good buy ( $99 ), but know nothing about it.

In a pinch as set of jumper cables on a car / truck could be used if you can work the voltage out.
  • oadkins
    oadkins Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    What I want is something to start and stop generator automatically
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #4
    Options
    That requires either a integrated AGS system from within a control system on a Inverter charger or a separate control module.

You can home brew a system if you have the skills with a VCS and a Adkinson AGS module. Is it 2 wire or 3 wire, does it require a choke ?? Most automatic system do not work all that well and can cause lot's of trouble. I read somewhere that most Generac automatic systems have a 40% failure rate during a power outage, that you could attribute to lots of things.

The last one I personally had got stuck cranking and burned up the starter, and melted the post off the battery. My wife called me because it started smoking and and sounded crazy. I didn't get there until after the Fire dept had left, they cut the battery cable. In the end it was a bad starter solenoid , but I couldn't trust it any longer.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are trying to find a "cheap one" you are better off going with out.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.