question about CC "clicking"

elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I have a Midnite Solar Classic 200 and have used it for a little over 2 years.  It has been great.  On two different occasions, I have heard the CC making a rhythmic clicking sound, almost like a clock.  When I looked at the screen, it would do this when it showed "resting."  The first time I heard it, I looked at the panels and they were covered with snow so after I cleaned the snow off, the clicking stopped.

Yesterday, there was no snow.  At the end of the day as the sun was nearly down, when the screen showed "resting," the click was back.  I have had the CC into the rest mode before and there was no clicking.  This morning, snow once again is covering the panels and the CC says "resting" but this time there is no click. 

Has anyone encountered this before and, if so, should I be concerned?  I'd hate to have to buy another one of these things! :smile: 
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the click is a relay in the controller that disconnects the panels at low/zero output.  Normal, and happens around Dawn and Dusk
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• elesaver
    Thank you, Mike.  Eases my mind.  I had actually considered turning off the panels today since they are snow covered.  I would remove the snow but we're expecting freezing rain so I thought the snow on the bottom would make an easier removal later.  Having just returned from outside, the click is back.  Makes sense now.  Thanks again.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    The clicking should only be occasional not regular. It cliks every time the controller goes into or out of sleep mode. With snow cover i imageine the controller will keep retrying which may make it do this somewhat cyclicly, but not more than once a minute or so. Anymore than that is a bug most likely, and i do recall hearing about this once before.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to hear the (bedside mounted) MX 60's clicking become cyclical in the very early morning when the incoming is reflected light..., also when you have the time to recheck set short ie <= 1 minute it will seem to be cyclical, but as ZB says if it is all the time it may need fixing, check your settigns

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • elesaver
    Thanks, westbranch.  No, it's not all the time so I'm certain that it's the relay that was mentioned.  It's only when the light is VERY low and even then, not all the time.  It appears everything is good.  Thanks again.