Is there an easy way to tell if diesel fuel is still good?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
Bought some containers that have some old diesel fuel in them. Figured it was bad when a match failed to light the fuel...under somewhat cool conditions. But a friend maintains that a match will not usually light diesel.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #2
    Options
    softdown said:
    Bought some containers that have some old diesel fuel in them. Figured it was bad when a match failed to light the fuel...under somewhat cool conditions. But a friend maintains that a match will not usually light diesel.
    Years back I bought a used diesel car that was sitting for 3 years. I hooked up jumper cables and the car started up right away.
    If it looks clean, I would not worry to much about it. If in doubt , just strain it through a coffee-filter which is close enough in microns that a fuel filter has.
    Pour some of that diesel on some charcoal for barbecue use or paper and see if it will light or burn.
    Diesel and oil is the only fuel that I know off that will be good for years,.....besides natural gas and propane.

If you poured Diesel on a cold ground etc it may not burn, heat it up a little bit and it may.
    Years ago I was trying to light paint thinner. I poured it on concrete and put a match to it, but I never could get it to light up.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
     Diesel by itself will not ignite with just a match; maybe with a propane torch.  We use diesel with about 10 - 15% gasoline added when we need to start slash pile fires. The added gas makes it easy to get going, but is not enough to cause a fireball that scorches you. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #4
    Options
    Until the 90's, it was accepted practice to add some gasoline to diesel fuel in order to get cold engines to start.  Changes were made to many diesel engines that created the threat of pre-ignition before the combustion chamber.

I might have > 50 gallons of old diesel. Would be a pain to filter that through a coffee filter.

Some people say that diesel does not go bad. Others say it last 3-4 years.

Some people use diesel in their indoor kerosene heaters. I wonder about the air quality.

This diesel fluid is already at least 4 years old. Must be some good use for it.

Turns out that my solar array is so effective that I have only used the generator twice in the past few months. The valley is usually heavenly....for solar production.

Mountain Don said:
     Diesel by itself will not ignite with just a match; maybe with a propane torch.  We use diesel with about 10 - 15% gasoline added when we need to start slash pile fires. The added gas makes it easy to get going, but is not enough to cause a fireball that scorches you. 

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Use it to help start a burn pile. Diesel fuel injection is amazing until someones does something stupid!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A company makes a $25 Fuel Filter Funnel that will clean fuel up.   Diesel lasts forever as long a it stays dry,  But it's very susceptible to moisture condensing in the tank, and then bacteria live at the interface of fuel & water, and create sludge.
    The funnel has a hydrophobic coating on the filter, which stops the water, and the filter stops the big stuff.  After that, the engines own fuel/water separator does the work.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,