clueless

vonallen
vonallen Registered Users Posts: 2
Im clueless as to what solar system to use,I have two acres on Washington coast i am living in my fifth wheel now,I want to be able to run washer dryer,I have a well pump,and want enough power to operate all power tools,and halogen outdoor

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,

I assume that grid power is not possible in your location.  Also, I'm not sure from your question if this is to be a portable system contained in your fifth wheel, or if you are planning to build a permanent structure.  You didn't mention cooking, heating, or hot water... Will that be propane or natural gas?  You also did not mention refrigeration or air conditioning... will those be part of the energy budget?

Also, do you have a money budget?  If you are planning to run just the things you mentioned with a battery based system, you will be spending at least $20k.   Also, you will need a generator for any sustained loads at night or on cloudy/foggy days.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Washington coast probably will not need much cooling (AC) and power tools requirement suggests he is building a home? More data as vtMaps.  
    I will just say that if you are building a home I would shift the big power tools to an gasoline air compressor and generator.
    I have had many clients who have not listened on this advise and have had others helping them build with bad electric tools that have caused them problems. Contractors have the worst tools and the short time that you are building, it is best to keep them away from your home energy system.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• vonallen
    vonallen Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank-you very much for input
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

The best thing you can do before going solar off grid is save as much power as possible.

So forget about the halogen lights. Replace them with LED, they use about 20% of the power of the halogen lights.

I have found that skill saws are the worst for start up current. I say run the skill saw on a varrac set to 90 to 100 volts. Best thing to do is run a skill saw off a generator.

I have a samlex 2000 watt pure sine wave with 4000w surge, it barely runs a skill saw, I use it to run my mig welder. You can run power tools off gird but its very difficult.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #6

You want something like I built:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-power/4544-home-made-solar-inverter-generator-hybrid.html

Made for running small power tools on solar/battery power and larger tools off the generator, all off one self contained unit.

To run the big items I just got a samlex 2000 watt pure sine inverter with 4000 watt surge. Running power tools off gird is very difficult. I can now power my mig welder and skill saw at full power.

Before I would not run the welder off anything but the generator. I could run the skill saw at reduced power by running it off a varrac set to 90 to 100 volts and bump starting it with a 1000 watt inverter.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Shawn-H
    Shawn-H Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    From what little information you've given I would say that you need to system about the size of mine. I look for deals and shopped for a long time and I've put $32,000.00 into mine.
    100% Off-grid in the White Mountains of Arizona. 36 Kyocera 265w mounted on four DPW 9 module pole top mounts, midnite solar combiners, breakers, & lightning arresters, 1 midnight solar classic 150, & 3 classic 150 lights, 3 x 1574 AH GB Industries forklift batteries total of 4722 AH @24v. Feeding a Outback power systems FW500 with 2 x VFX 3624, with the x240. 2 Honda EU3000is gensets with the 240 combiner and control box running LP, and 1 Honda EU2000is Gas. 
    System #2 is a off grid water system @ 1590w (6 Kyocera 265's) on a 6 module DPW top of pole mount. Feeding a Granfas deep well pump and pump controller at 580 feet. 2 x 2800 gallon above ground poly storage tanks, and 1 x 1200 gallon underground  cistern and a Granfas 24v booster pump feeding a 90 gallon carbon fiber pressure tank.
    Vag woodstove for heat.
    Follow our journey at
    https://www.facebook.com/ShawnpHarvey