Homemade Solar Generator

Options
npawlowic
npawlowic Registered Users Posts: 1
The other day I was in Costco, and they were selling a "Yeti solar generator" by Goal Zero.  It's basically a battery with a built in charger inverter into which you can plug solar panels (separate purchase) to charge it when the grid is down.  They say it's 1250 ah, but don't say over how long.  My impression is that it's a self contained, easy to use system for people that don't want to take the time to figure out how electricity works.  Kind of like the iMac of renewable energy.  But like the iMac, it's pricey - around $1,200, and seems very limited.

I decided I wanted to build my own, and "hobby" my way into a backup energy system.  I don't want to debate batteries, I'm just going to go with 2 Trojan 105's for now because of their ubiquity an the pages and pages of info about them.  What I'm unsure about is the charger/controller.

Most of the info that I find is too simplistic and is of no use or too technical and I can't understand it (and is of no use).  What I want is a charger/inverter that I can plug into the wall (I have currently have plain old grid service) to keep it charged, but can add a few solar panels to as it grows (and I learn the language), and a small generator.  Basically an RV system, without the RV.  Do I need a charge controller?  Is there a difference between a controller and a charger inverter, or is the terms interchangeable?  And does MPPT come into play with this small system I'm looking at?  I'm thinking I want to stay at 12 volts, and around a 2000 watt inverter.

Please discuss...

Comments

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #2
    Options

You always need a charge controller.

Get a Morningstar MPPT charge controller. That way you can be very flexible in panel voltage, you can use up to a "36 volt solar panel" (up to 75 volt open current voltage) to charge a 12 volt battery system.

Get a pure sine wave inverter. I have found a lot of devices don't like the cheap modified sine wave inverters.

I have moved away from modified sine. Typical affordable 12v pure sine inverters are usually around 900 to 1000 watts.

Sounds like you want something like I built:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-power/4544-home-made-solar-inverter-generator-hybrid.html

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.