I have a ARB fridge/freezer 37 qt.

Options
mxvpsanchez
mxvpsanchez Registered Users Posts: 4
I want to run it offf of solar what size panel and battery will I need? It will be in the back of my tj jeep.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to run it off of solar what size panel and battery will I need? It will be in the back of my tj jeep.
    Welcome to the forum,

To answer your question I need to know the fridge consumption (which Wayne has calculated at 370 watthours per day), and how many days autonomy you want/need.  In other words, how many cloudy days in a row do you want to go before running a generator?

Answering the autonomy question will give us a battery size.  The battery size will tell us how much solar energy you need to charge that size battery.  And then there are the issues of climate and solar exposure... your jeep can't hold enough panels to do the job if it doesn't have good solar exposure.

How often do you drive the jeep, and can you use the alternator to charge the battery?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mxvpsanchez
    Options
    I tow the jeep behind my rv. I live in Mexico in the winter and Mt a and Canada in the summer. When I am parked I can plug it in to 120v. I was thinking to keep it charging when parked for more than 2 hours or so. When I am at the beach for the day our out hiking in the mountains. The ARB has a setting so it won't kill the jeep battery. This is just a luxury thing for me. (Ice cream and cold beer) I am fine getting a oversized battery.. I have no clue how solar/batteries do all this. I am a cabinetmaker. Sorry for being dumb.
    i like this ARB due to the fact it will run on a 30 degree angel.
  • mxvpsanchez
    Options
    Vtmaps I would like to keep it running overnight, the jeep will charge it when I drive. Does that help?
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Vtmaps I would like to keep it running overnight, the jeep will charge it when I drive. Does that help?
    Using the consumption numbers that Wayne provided, it will require 30.6 amphours to run for 24 hours. 

A deep cycle battery that can do that every day should be at least a 60 ah battery.  You do not want to let the battery get below 50% SOC (state of charge), and when it gets that low it must be recharged ASAP.

By the way, are you planning to have a dedicated battery for this fridge, or are you thinking that you will get a larger vehicle starting battery and use it for the fridge?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mxvpsanchez
    Options
    I want to get a dedicated battery. Could you recommend the parts and pieces I would need to do this? (panel size,a good battery,controller). Thanks 
  • vtmaps
    edited October 2015 #8
    Options
    I want to get a dedicated battery. Could you recommend the parts and pieces I would need to do this? (panel size,a good battery,controller). Thanks 
    OK.  Remind me... what do you expect from the panels and controller? 

Previously you wrote that you could plug it in when you parked, and then you wrote that you want to keep it running overnight and then charge it while driving.

So then, what's the solar for?   Sorry to give you a hard time about this, but in order to design a system that gives you satisfaction I need hard numbers.  Engineers work that way.  Because you will be plugged in when parked, and charging while driving, I calculate that a solar array size of 0.0 Watts will be adequate.   As I mentioned earlier, you can run the fridge for 24 hours with a 60 amphour deep cycle battery, as long as you immediately recharge the battery. 

You mentioned that the fridge has a LVD (low voltage disconnect) to protect the battery.  Is it adjustable?  If not, do you know what its disconnect voltage is?   A LVD is an important part of the system and can be added as an independent item.  Also, some high quality, inexpensive controllers have load terminals with LVD, if you do decide to install solar.

--vtMaps