Is there a LAZY way to check electrolyte level?

cupcake
cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭

Cupkake here again...

Is there an easy/lazy way to check the water level in group-27 flooded 12v batteries... with 6 little filler holes..
Minez are all hooked up in 2 wall mounted battery boxes and I can only reach in so far... im too lazy to unhook all of them and put them on the ground to pop the caps off to check the fluid properly...

Anyone got any idea how to do this in the boxes?  mirrors?  special tools etc?

tahnx

--cakez
~1.5Kw PV in parallel
Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say an inspection mirror (wrapped with insulating tape!). The kind with integral light source is particularly useful.
    Or you can use a pair of wires hooked up to a conductivity meter than will tell you when the wires touch the electrolyte.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • OntheWay
    OntheWay Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited September 2015 #3
    Not sure if this fits to your situation but a selfie stick, a phone with video recording, flash light on... Then you can watch the video...?
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

how do you get water into them and stop at the right level if space is so tight?
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    ^ that's my issue
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    might be better to build a more user friendly rack than replacing batteries because you weren't able to properly service them.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    cupcake said:
    ^ that's my issue
    You could have mentioned that at the start. :smiley:
    All you originally asked about was checking the level.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Trojan sells central watering kits for their lines of batteries, I wonder if they could be adapted and/or someone makes a "universal" central watering system version? They have little floats that shut off the water flow from a central point when the proper level  is reached. Just squeeze a filler bulb and it fills all the cells at once.

Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    If adding water is also a problem rebuild the place the batteries are stored. I built my storage area for batteries so I could easily remove caps and look in with the aid of a flashlight as well as easily add water with an auto stop dispenser.  And also remove, change batteries when that time arrives.  Why make things difficult or more complicated?  
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M