6kWhr AC from 1KW Panel.. Is this possible?

telljf
telljf Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
A relative of mine contacted me saying that a solar power system supplier approached her with the claim that with 1KW panel (4 panels of  250W , 4x120AH battery, 2KW inverter) 24V system will generate 6 units of AC electricity. He guarantees it.

Based on my experience and also from the various discussions on this forum, I have seen after an efficiency drop of about 50%, all we can expect is 1000W x 5hr x 0.5 = 2500Whr of AC or 2.5units of AC electricity.

He claims with some custom MPPT based design he is able to achieve 30% boost and hence will get 6kWhr. Have any of you guys seen that type of a performance in any of your installations?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #2
    It depends on where you live and how many days a year that you need to do this. Place the array on a tracker in a good solar region and you can do this and more all summer long. You just can't do this all year long!  Winter is where we design for.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• telljf
    There is no tracker for the proposed setup. Only 5hrs of good Sun can be expected per day in this location throughout the year.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    edited September 2015 #4
    I always like to try and get actual data for sun, guessing you are around Coimbatore, India:

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Coimbatore, TN, Inda
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 79° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

A fixed array near flat (optimum for your area)--Gives you an average of 4.35 to 6.32 hours of sun per day.

At this point, I certainly trust your math more than the Installers...

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • telljf
    Yes Bill, you are right with those Solar Insolation figures. All I am wondering is if there is really some technology out there that can boost the figures to what he is claiming.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #6
    Well you asked, and it is with a tracked array not an MPPT controller. At your latitude it would be a pain to track though.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]