Quality and Affordable Mid Size Fridge/Freezer combo

Options
slurry bowl
slurry bowl Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
Hello good people.

I am looking for a mid-size fridge that is very efficient and runs on AC. Any brands or models that have worked well for people? 

Thanks.

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your most energy efficient fridge is to use a chest freezer and add a thermostat that allows you to set the temperature at above freezing temps. The "solar refrigerators" are expensive...then you have to ship a bulky item. Had I to do it over again? Costco sells a standard sized fridge/freezer for ~$450. It does well in the energy consumption department. Either that...or I would convert the chest freezer to a fridge. You can also go to Sears and look at their Energy Star refrigerators. Or......your preferred vendor. Energy Star is the key.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most conventional fridges cycle on and off.  The percentage of time they spend running (typically about 30%) is called their duty cycle.

The next big technology change for fridges and freezers is variable speed compressors, sometimes called 'inverter fridges'.  They are just starting to become available in north america.  They run all the time, but not at full power.  It is more efficient to run all the time at 30% power than to run 30% of the time at full power.  They have the added benefit of having low startup surges (not important if you are on the grid, but a very nice feature for off-grid systems).

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • slurry bowl
    slurry bowl Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options
    thank you very much, my solution will be posted when accomplished
  • Susido
    Susido Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic because eventually I'm probably going to have to change my fridge/freezer for something a lot more efficient. What I have now has to be one of the least efficient possible. It's a large RV propane/AC fridge and even though it is new (and undoubtedly very expensive) it is a true pig when it comes to running costs. It will draw 10 amps all by itself for a large part of the day which is why I typically run it on gas. Removing it from my 5th wheel is probably not trivial though. 
    Seasonally off-grid ... 468 Ahrs @ 48V (8 Rolls S-605 6v FLA batteries),  24 x 130watt panels, 6 x 260watt panels, 2 x Midnite Classic 150, Whizbang Jr., Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger, 2 x Honda eu2000i generators paralleled.

• vtmaps
    Options
    Susido said:
    It's a large RV propane/AC fridge and even though it is new (and undoubtedly very expensive) it is a true pig when it comes to running costs. It will draw 10 amps all by itself for a large part of the day which is why I typically run it on gas.
    It is an absorption type fridge and it uses a heat source to drive the cooling cycle.  When you switch from propane to electric, you are just using an electric heater instead of a propane flame.   They are terribly inefficient when run on electric power.  Look into an electric fridge with a compressor... much more efficient.   If you need to run it on 12 or 24 volts DC, there are quite a few super efficient fridges that use the Danfoss compressor. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #7
    Options
    How would the Danfross  compare with the amazing crystal cold.  I am reluctant to tie my fridge to AC, but would like to have a small freezer, current CC, 18 CF is about $2200, you can get a blemished and save  some there.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Crystal Cold are propane. Danfoss electric; the ones I know of are 12 / 24 VDC.  They both keep food cold but are different. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is a 12 or 24 volt refrigerator inherently more energy efficient than a 120 volt?  120 volt appliances offer economies of scale in the manufacturing and distribution. Keep wondering about this.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe that if we are talking about a full time off grid residence today,  then a modern high efficiency 120 VAC (USA/CDN) is an overall better deal assuming PV and battery capacity are adequate as well.  

I've seen people use converted chest freezers but that requires a large attitude adjustment. Not to mention floor space. I would not be happy.   We have a 4.1 cu ft danfoss fridge in a trailer. For that it is close to ideal with enough solar on the roof and batteries sized to run 3 days with no sunshine. A danfoss powered fridge of sufficient capacity for our home would cost too much, IMO.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • vtmaps
    Options
    softdown said:
    Is a 12 or 24 volt refrigerator inherently more energy efficient than a 120 volt? 
    No, it is not inherently more efficient.  One reason the 12/24 volt Danfoss is so efficient is because it uses a variable speed compressor.  Variable speed compressors are starting to be seen on 120 volt fridges also... not sure what the pricing is on them... they've only been available in the US for less than a year.

--vtMaps