XW6848 load shaving balancing?

I read on the Schneider website that when using load shaving they recommend for best results to keep the phases balanced. Is this something I should be looking into? Maybe install a outback balancing transforner? If anyone has more info on this please post.
XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I would suggest contacting Schneider directly about this question... You can put a balancing transformer on the AC input to the inverter or on the AC output--I am not sure which would be best. Done wrong, and you can have other issues (circulating currents through the XW and balancing transformer).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say this is a basic electrician skill. You always try to balance the split phase loads to keep the panel balanced. Balancing the panel has very good effects on any split phase inverter.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    I called Schneider and basically they could not tell me anything about this transformer for balancing loads when on grid. Hard to balance loads when the loads are intermittent, ie. a toaster or hair dryer used at different times.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Yea--Short term loads are a pain. And probably not worth worrying about in the big scheme of things. The cost of the balancing transformer and its losses probably will not have payback from the energy savings/efficiency (and the complexity can cause other problems too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    BB. wrote: »
    Yea--Short term loads are a pain. And probably not worth worrying about in the big scheme of things. The cost of the balancing transformer and its losses probably will not have payback from the energy savings/efficiency (and the complexity can cause other problems too).

-Bill
    But long term loads like having all the lights, the toaster oven, the hair dryers, a 120V jet pump,and a microwave on L1 and a few small loads on L2 can cause a split phase inverter to not work well on a 60 amp service like all of these are. This happens alot when someone upgrades to from a single phase battery based inverter to a split. It is a basic electrician skill that is called for anytime a panel is wired by a pro or someone who wants to do it right.

• new2PV
    Question how much power is lost in this transformer?
  • new2PV
    12 watts is lost for idle for the psx-240 transformer.
  • new2PV
    That is 6 watts per phase.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ion the scheme of things, that 12w loss, is nothing
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    ion the scheme of things, that 12w loss, is nothing
    Depends on your scheme. It is after all still 288wH per day. It is less than the tare of most large inverters.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Dave Angelini
    I would say that the key to a 12 watt loss for an offgrid application, is being able to shed the loss in bad weather. It is the key to being able to live off 4 KWH per day without a generator. It is also as Mike said, "nothing" when you have the 40 KWH available.