Flexmax 80

CBHunter
CBHunter Solar Expert Posts: 39
I would like to know what are your comments on the Outback FlexMax 80 controller. From people who actualy use it, are you satisfied?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Flexmax 80

Hello CB.. .

I've been using two MX-60 -- the OB predecessor the the FM CC. That has been a great box for me.

There may be a Firmware issue with the FM boxes at this point.

Try this link to the OB Forum's FM80/60 Topic :

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=7b3ba2f20ee36557bdd56006d7841488

Also there is a new Midnite Classic MPPT CC now in Beta Test. Midnite was formed by the two founders of OB, also were principals in Trace etc IIRC.

The Midnite promises to be a very good/flexible MPPT CC. All the best, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The FM series does have a couple little qiurks but i am sure outback will get them straightened out soon.
    And i can say as one of the beta sights for the Midnite Solar Classic it will be one heck of a controller it is jam packed full of features.
  • dagr51
    dagr51 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

Any word on when the new Midnite controller will be available? Description / specifications / price?
  • halfcrazy

Here is a little bit on the Classic

It should be about the same cost as other comparable controllers

It should ship mid summer if all goes well

The specs i can talk about now

1-Controller will have different modes to work with Sun, Wind, Hydro etc
    2-Controller will truly be stack able giving control over charging points etc to one master
    3-Controller will be available in different voltage limits so no more 140 volt limits
    4-Controller will be able to boost charge
    5-Software can be uploaded from a PC
    6-Two auxiliary outputs and one can be used as an input for logging data

And there is much more to come look for a big announcement when we go live with the beta sights we will have better description of things then
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

AND,

This is a llink to the Midnite Classic page ... They have been very busy, so no recent updates, but might keep an eye on it. Plus am sure thet halfcrazy will keep us informed, as therer is a Beta unit there.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • halfcrazy

Yes i will keep everyone up to speed. i do have 2 beta units here one on wind and one on solar.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

My FM80 has only been up and running for a week now, but I certainly have no complaints. I did experience the "night power" quirk when I first had it running with my very low wattage (24W on a sunny day) Harbor Freight panel set, but now with a couple of 135W panels it's working just fine.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

rj,
    so what do you attribute to it now working as opposed to before the newer pvs were in place?
  • halfcrazy

the thing we noticed is that if it has been a real nice day the fm goes to sleep but if it has been partly cloudy it stays awake. I have no idea what causes this but i assume it is software related.

The other thing that it seems to do at times when it is real sunny the wattage will drop off by about 1/2-3/4 of the amount it is capable of producing and then it will eventually slowly ramp back up.

Like i say i have no idea the cause for these issues but i feel sure they are software related and Crewzer and the guys at Outback will get it ironed out to everyones satisfaction.
    Ryan
  • niel

software, well i suppose, but i doubt it's been sunny either for a solid week even though it's possible. that may be a clue as just switching pvs seems to have done something according to rj.

"I did experience the "night power" quirk when I first had it running with my very low wattage (24W on a sunny day) Harbor Freight panel set, but now with a couple of 135W panels it's working just fine."

i am not sure if he eliminated the harbor freight pvs or not, though, by his statement, but he indicates his problem is now gone.
  • halfcrazy

Neil i agree i don't think it is the panels that fixed his problem. it is a sparatic problem at best that's what makes me believe it has to be software. The controller does actually work well most of the time.
  • niel

hmm, maybe something to do with the voltage as clouds and cheap pvs would present a lowered voltage point? maybe in the way it's tracking these voltage points it throws it for a loop when low at the right time? just throwing out speculation.
    i know i got stuck in bulk mode.:cry: i know, poor humor.:p
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I don't necessarily think it's the panels themselves that made the difference, I was thinking it might be a power measurement issue. With the HF panels, I had so little to work with that I had reduced the cutoff current setting all the way down to 0.2A (the minimum) and found it would hover right around 0.5A each night with periodic blips up to 0.8A. With the new panels, it still hangs around 0.5A but stays there so I can set the cutoff back to 0.6A (the default) and it shuts off just fine. It would usually shut off with the HF panels too once I raised the cutoff, but I had to go all the way to 1A before it would reliably stop. Of course then it also wouldn't come on either unless it was a bright sunny day.

This week has been miserable for PV, lots of clouds, the first few days had a lot of alternating between overcast and sunny with some high thin clouds in between. Today was just flat gloomy. It's worked fine for all those days, in fact it's given me some better numbers than I expected for the first few. Today was lousy (all of 10AH!) but then I could hardly expect anything less.

I have disconnected the HF panels completely (they will go back to their old charge controller for other purposes) and am running only the Kyoceras.

One thing I do notice different between the sets, which perhaps could contribute to this? With the HF panels on the FM80, after dark the voltage shown for the PV side would stay high. With the Kyoceras, that voltage drops. It doesn't go away, but definitely goes down. The only thing I could come up with to account for this was that I had installed some diodes in the HF panels because the original HF CC allowed the battery to backfeed the panels when they weren't producing. I assumed the Kyoceras have blocking diodes (bypass too?) but now I think about it haven't checked.

Edit:
    A side note: I have my panels in series, the HF set with three panels actually ran a higher voltage - usually around 40-47V - than the two Kyoceras - in the mid-30V range.

Edit 2:
    Heh... Well, isn't that just the way it goes? :roll: Just went out to check the FM80 now that it's getting dark and it was hung! Switching the breaker for the PV input made no difference. Telling it to reset did. So... :blush:
  • niel

oh well. the more info and circumstances elaborated on, the more apt they could find the key to what is happening. once a problem source is found they can find a solution.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

The FM80 is a great MPPT controller. There have been occasional reports of quirky behavior, and we're workin' on 'em.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel

i have no doubt you guys are working hard at it jim.
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

In my old system, I was using two of the MX60's. They seemed to work OK, but I have to say that I never really did understand how to set them up. Very, Very confusing. There has to be a simpler way to do it. Something like 60 pages of how to's. My ADD is way to much for all of this. I'm currently seriously considering the 4448 inverter from Magnum, but still have no clue as to which controller to use.
  • halfcrazy

Backroad you will be happy with the magnum it is a very nice piece of equipment. Get your self a Midnite Epanel for it it makes wiring a breeze. as for controllers they are all good the Classic will be a nice piece but not quite available yet. I don't know how soon you need one?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I'd suggest the XW-MPPT unit. Doesn't need any tweaks to run. Turn it on and forget it
  • halfcrazy

Solar Guppy i had an XW at a customers house that was reading 6 volts low. never could figure it out and xantrex sent out a new one. i have used 3 of these units and the other 2 are running as promised the third did after a replacement. Any ideas on the voltage being off so far?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

probably a bum unit
  • halfcrazy

Yeah the odd part was it worked perfect we just adjusted for the offset in voltage. We had to do a little trouble shooting Xantrex wanted to make sure it wasn't the temperature senser
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    probably a bum unit

Anecdotal: we used to get circuits that were out-of-whack at Emerson. Even though the individual components tested to specs (value of 'X' +/- 10%) if they all 'leaned' in just the right (or wrong) direction the assembled unit didn't work right. They'd still function, just not within parameters. 10% here, 10% there ... pretty soon you're talking way off spec!