generator support options

Does anyone have an advice/experience/recommendations with inverters with generator support? Any experience with that magnum gen support module? I fixed some issues on a system that had the magnum set up and the gen support did seem a bit crude and limited. Thanks.

Comments

• mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The Gen support with my XW-6048 is awesome, when charging via genset, and the wife starts up the blowdryer or mircowave, the charging cuts back to prevent overloading the genset, And if even more loads came online, the inverter would assist the generator as long as the batteries hold up.
    When first starting, the inverter gradually adds load to the generator and ramps up charging to the limits programmed, it does not smack it instantly with high demand,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• tampasolartampasolar Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Do you have GFS Enabled ... under Active Power Control ?
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭
    no, I have Schneider XW6048 inverter. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• AnawaAnawa Solar Expert Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Had a recent experience with gen support using an Outback Radian inverter configuration. 

I'm in the middle of an installation utilizing a single Outback 8048A inverter and three Midnite Solar 250 chargers.
    The framing for the array racking system is lagging far because of delivery issues. So, the charge controller are mounted and not yet connected. The Outback Radian is up and running via the battery and 8.O Kohler genset.

The wood flooring contractor showed-up last Thursday to sand the floors with his wheel mounted 240v (19amp) sander along with 2 more hand hinders, vacuum cleaner, and work lights. When he tried to start the sander, I noticed via the Mate3 that the voltage would spike at 12.5kW. The sander could not get started because the inverter would go off-line. 

At times like this, it's pretty routine for me to finally get out the operation manual and begin to read. I reset the AC input on the inverter to "Support" and the sander started-up, the voltage spiked at 12.5kW, but it was able to continue until the sanding job was done.

BTW, the system had been operational with 3 small mini-splits running 24/7 to dry out the floors before the sanding. Running off only on the batteries and genset.
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k